The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo Power Chart?

Lazarus

Looking for a "turbo power chart" comparing turbos from different manufacturers and specs showing roughly what power figures they could produce.

Done searches and found one that was posted up in 2002 (It was just a dot graph and not much help) and it probably wasn't the most up to date info then, I think I remember another chart from about a year ago but I'll be danged if I can find it.:shrug:

It was more of a bar graph that showed what ranges each "tubbie" was good for (power wise), anybody know what the hell I'm on about here.:giveup:

I suggest you search Digsy's posts :D

;)

I've never really done a post on turbo selection. :)

However, you could start your turbo selection by having a look at the compressor maps here. I've seen a few guides on how to size your turbo based on them online so a bit of Googling would help too.

What you have to do is work out how much air you want to flow for the power you need to achieve. IIRC about 10lbs per minute = 100hp. Then you can pick a pressure ratio (boost pressure in bar + ) that gives you the most efficient operation (i.e. right in the center of the "island" on the chart.

Unfortunately, it then gets hard. You need to work forwards from the desired pressure ratio , taking into account the assumed efficiency at the airfolw you want, plus the effects of the intercooler to determine how much air mass the setup will actually flow. If the lbs per minute figure you get at the end of the maths matches what you guessed at in the beginning then its all fine and dandy. If not then you need to adjust your figures and start again.

I've worked through this process once and once only using Ian C's car as an example and a T66 map (he has a T67). Everything matched up pretty well. As for the maths, its mainly themodynamics and a couple of assumed figures (for intercooler efficiency and the like). A guy at work put a spreadsheet together for me to have a play with but sadly, and as I have posted up on here before, I'm not allowed to give it to anyone else. He's our head of R&D so if he found his turbo sizing spreadsheet floating around the web he'd know where it came from (and I'd probably be out of a job).

Sorry for the cop-out at the end. Hopefully you can find the maths in the Bosch Book or something similar, or on the web.

HTH

Guest Terry S

Guys none of theses charts cover every turbo selection. Please remember most comp maps are generic and will not cover special trims.

As Digsy said find a comp map for the actual turbo you are interested in. I also have the engine VE chart here.

There's another page somewhere that gives views and opinions on the various turbos and their suitability for fitting to the Supra. Probably not what you're after but it made for interesting reading.

Just wish I could remember where it was, hehe

Are you thinking of the link that Peter posted up in the second post? :D

-Ian