The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stick on number plates legal?

Paul -C-

I looked into this a few weeks back, and its pretty black and white...

There are no stick on plates in existance that comply completely with the legislation as its laid out by the DVLA (the DVLA web site says it all)...you can comply with the size / font / spacing etc but the plates will still be illegal as far as relectivity is concerned. Saying that, Ive gone for a stick on front plate (correct font / spacing / size) anyway and carry the original in the boot.

Its had a close inspection from a nice copper already (they came round to talk to my son about his Mini being broken into and my car was on the drive)....in a nutshell the opinion was 'some will pull you up for it some wont...at least it looks like a legal plate unlike some' Other than that, time will tell

I recently got stopped by the old bill and questioned regarding my number plate that is on the bottom part of the Do-Luck spoiler. He told me i needed a more visible one and when I asked him where he thought I might mount it he said" Well, get some of them sticker ones and put it on the front of the bonnet".

You cant win eh? :shrug:

Bl**dy typical!

I had a stick-on on mine in likely the place he suggested until I changed my reg. I never had any issues with plod at all. I changed it because I prefered something smaller and less legal ;) All a matter of taste, I guess.

Did pull of some paint durint the removal but only because I was careless, but I covered that up with the original mount.

I think your hardest problem will be finding someone who still makes them up, TBH.

Mine's mounted on the bottom lip of my bumper pretty much facing the sky! However al the spacings are correct as the fonts and sizes. My mate the copper said it should be ok as long as ypu can read it, and if you stand back you can. If the DiVs from LA say it aint legal then how come Nissan Navaras/Mitsubishi Warriors/Ltd Edition MGFs get away with them as standard! :who:

Does it not damage the paint work...? is that a daft question...?

Prior to the v nice one Ive got now, I had a home made sticky one...I had a wee problem getting the old one off...a bit too much hairdryer and it pulled a small bit of paint off...new sticky one covers it thank god but what a spud