The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre blowout on the M5

Max Headroom

The other week travelling down the M5 with my wife on my way to Scotland, my rear drivers side tyre blew. Was in the fast lane and nursed it over to the hard shoulder and waited. Now I didnt have my space saver tyre as I have H147s and I had that feeling that I was going to be spending a lot of time in Birmingham. Anyway we ended up in a tyre place called BMTR on the A34 to Walsall and I got charged £170 for a Goodyear F1 255/35/18, which they had in stock so I could go on my merry way. Well chuffed considering the circumstances and it saved on the ear bashing from the missus.

What are h147s and why do they prevent you carrying a space saver?

Hi-Join 147 Alloys, and the wheel nuts are a smaller diameter than standard and I wasnt sure if they would fit the space saver. Yes I know I could have tried it but as I have just moved down here my space saver tyre was in the shed.......somewhere. :hide:

That could've been alot worse.

I don't think 170 is bad. Yeah its higher than normal but not many places have those sort of tyres in stock and at least you could carry on your marry way.

That was exactly it, I thought I was going to have to wait for a day or two for the tyre and given that I needed to get my missus up to Scotland for an appointment, it was worth it.