The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Converting to manual ?

mad k

Has anyone done this ? Is it that hard?

Im having some issues with my car and if i cant sort it im thinking about going to manual, I managed to get a cheap 95 model TT Cat C car , with 30k miles cheap.

My mate needs a engine and i was thinking about using the bits needed to turn mine to 6 speed, i always thought the auto was better for drag racing :blahblah:

My plan is to use the silver cat c car for the conversion then sell off all the salvagable bits, Aswell as my auto box and 3800 torque convertor, Is this a daft idea ?

Has anyone got any advice on carrying it out ?

K.

Seems sensible enough to me, I was thinking about doing the same with the parts from the car CJ / PaulE were flogging bits off but I asked too many questions *sigh*

Anyway it looks like you have the best way of doing it, all the bits to hand and then sell what's left - give me a shout if you decide to flog the 3800, now I'm staying auto I fancy one :)

I have the 2 whole car's and the labours free, So the only cost is in the tripple plate clutch....

I want to keep my P plate gunmetal car, Its just i want a realible car that i can drag race aswell.

I need to sort out my issues where the cars hitting the limiter before the gearchange, I need to see if the emange can move the shift points on the gearchange.

K.

I have the 2 whole car's and the labours free, So the only cost is in the tripple plate clutch....

I want to keep my P plate gunmetal car, Its just i want a realible car that i can drag race aswell.

I need to sort out my issues where the cars hitting the limiter before the gearchange, I need to see if the emange can move the shift points on the gearchange.

K.

Kenny, I know you're a drag wh0re so I think you'll regret going manual in the end, especially since you'll want to race at Crail most of the time and the sheeite surface will make it extremely difficult to hook a manual up even on DR's. But, if you do go for it, take a look at this bad boy:

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateH.asp?SubFolderID=200&SearchYN=N

(top of page)

Cheers,

Brian.

K.

You'll still need some parts new. ! part springs to mind in particular - the sub tunnel. I can get you the part number if you definitely decide to go ahead with it. I didn't do mine, I got a garage to do it (didn't have the time to do it myself) but in terms of spannering, it's a piece of piss. The most difficult part is cutting the auto sub tunnel and welding the manual one in place. If you're serious about doing it, give me a shout.

Best of luck :thumbs:

I thought you were a drag queen too LOL.. autos are the favorite for drag but in a way lazy. You will just have to work with the manual to get them times. Have you thought about An uprated auto? Can I ask what you mean about hitting the rev limiter in auto mode? ..why are you not using manual mode when draggin? Or are you refering to the TC not locking up and reving all the time ? you do know you can lock it up...oohh questions questions

It just may be now that the auto box you have is showing signs of slipping due to old age and hitting its power capabilities. So in which case it's either look into uprated autoboxes or the manual conversion ,,,I suppose in a ways it's what is cheaper in the long run and fun for you