The mkiv Supra Owners Club

G-Tech Performance Pro

SuperSupra

If you provide it with vehicle weight and some aerodynamic/rolling resistance approximations it should be able to give you bhp figures, IF the measurements have been done correctly on a flat straight.

My accelerometer is more expensive than this one, but it can datalog as well.

For measuring 0-60 and 1/4mile times this one doesn't look too bad, saves you going to the Pod until you've perfected your launches.

So it is actually accurate then? Can measure the bhp your motor's running, and 0-60 times etc?

It measures "horsepower used to accelerate the car". This is the engine power minus drivetrain losses, tyre frictional losses, and most importantly - overcoming aerodynamic drag losses. That last bit means it'll always read under your dyno figures because that doesn't take into account any wind resistance.

It is actually quite accurate. The bimmer got 0.89 to 0.93g on a roundabout with the stability control system having an embolism. It pegged a 9s 0-60 as well which is within book figures. 1g braking force. Absolutely wrecked weekly shopping.

-Ian

Mine has a good algorithm that calculates drivetrain, rolling and aerodynamic losses. It's not perfect but it's a good approximation up until 120mph at least.

It asks you to do two sets of rolling timings on a FLAT straight road, one say at 20->10mph and another 60->50mph (can't remember exactly)

It calculates friction and aero parameters out of that, and uses them in subsequent 'power' calculations.

They came pretty damn close to 'hub' dyno figures I got on the same setup (with correction factor=1)

i've got one of these (not from this seller though) and think for the money it's a great little gadget

it seems to be pretty accurate & more importantly consistent - so i got it to measure improvements after mods

the bhp did seem low when i tried that one, but i'm nto sure whether i'd worked out the weight correctly plus it does as previously mentioned measure more realistically than a rolling road

for that money, you can't really go wrong, in my opinion (unless it's broke when it arrives!)

Not sure if anyone mentioned this to you before but the RR version at least has, in the car setup area, a degree setting where you put in the degrees your car tilts when under hard acceleration/braking/cornering. So as long as it's on the flat you can compensate for squat, dive, and body roll. It even has detailed instructions on using a pukka drag strip to help calibrate this, by comparing trap speeds :)

It is also affected by the angle it's at but it self-calibrates around that on the first drag run you do. And the suction cup and mount are extremely good for holding the thing still. Overall I'm impressed by it apart from the slightly plasticky casing. Don't drop it :)

-Ian