The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lost Boost HELP lol any idea

warmup.me.uk

Sorry i have not been on for a long time had to move my website to a new URL because of a PLC thought i was using there name load of hassle.

I have a problem my car last night lost all boost and the exhaust has increased in volume don't quite know that the problem is checked most of the things today this is the list i have done so fare.

checked all hard piping and flexy pipes from turbo to inter-cooler and inlet manifold no leaks anywhere.

checked all vacuum pipes all in place no leaks.

The car does have an HKS boost controller which controls the boost on the first turbo also the turbo pressure sensor in the inlet manifold and the pressure sensor in the fuel rail. The boost controller under the bonnet makes a chirping sound every few seconds when i first lost boost the controller stop making a noise traced the wires back and cleaned the earth strap and positive connector the controller makes a sound again.

i am now getting some boost when you boot it it will boost to 0.5bar then very quickly drops back to atmospheric pressure.

There is still one cat whether that being faulty would cause the problem not i have had a few problems with turbo diesels loosing boost when the cat as had a problem.

I am a bit lost where to go now i option i can see is to remove all the HKS system and re wire and pipe the car back to standard which prove whether the HKS is to blame or that there is a fault on the engine side.

please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most likely culprit will be a split or blown off hose. The boost controller won't be the problem, even if the BC was turned off you will still see positive boost.

You say you are making 0.5bar then nothing, is that when the second turbo should come on line? If there are no hoses off/split then it could be the second turbo has gone.

so do you think the part of the HKS system under the engine bay was not working would that make any difference not the controller in the car the other bit lol sorry i'm not very technical my friend who write the 1st email is. its just my friend is sure this could be the problem were i think the same its a hose somewhere in the engine bay hiding with a split.

so do you think the part of the HKS system under the engine bay was not working would that make any difference not the controller in the car the other bit lol sorry i'm not very technical my friend who write the 1st email is. its just my friend is sure this could be the problem were i think the same its a hose somewhere in the engine bay hiding with a split.

No definitely not responsible for you losing all boost, if it wasn't working you would simply see stock boost level, as if the BC was turned off.

Most likely culprit is a blown or split hose, this woudl account for change in noise also.

A hose popping off from the egcv actuator wold make the car louder as it happened to me, could happen on any sequential pipe line I guess, but definately a dodgy hose, feel free to pop down my way and I can help you check.:)

ill have to keep looking thanks for your input i just cant find were this is any idea were to look 1st or were you think its likely you say from the egcv actuator were exactly is that sorry i sort of know just want to confirm

It's usually one of the large intercooler hoses that splits or blown off, if it has split it won't be as obvious to see.

it has got a hard pipe kit on the car i have checked all the pipes around the inter-cooler and cant see any also around all the header tanks im a bit lost to were this is lol

It's usually one of the large intercooler hoses that splits or blown off, if it has split it won't be as obvious to see.
I don't know, Nic. I've had a blown off intercooler hose a few times and it never showed ANY positive boost once the hose had popped. WarmMeUp said he's seeing 0.5bar and then it goes down to zero. I think your worries for his second might be right :( Hope not though.

I don't know, Nic. I've had a blown off intercooler hose a few times and it never showed ANY positive boost once the hose had popped. WarmMeUp said he's seeing 0.5bar and then it goes down to zero. I think your worries for his second might be right :( Hope not though.

what about the extra nose would this cause this? how would we find out if it is a turbo?

Guest madder_ali

Hi

I have just had a similar problem first turbo spools up but then when the second turbo goes to spool up it stalls, and I got a drop in pressure.

Turned out there was a split in the egcv hose.

There are two very useful articles in the Technical FAQ section that explain what happens when it all goes wrong. There are pictures labeling all the hoses too. I printed them off for future reference, many thanks to the guys that put them together :clap:

There was enough slack in my hose to remove the split bit and reconnect it, though I will be replacing the hoses as soon as I get paid! Think envy are selling a set at a good price at the moment.

Hope that helps

Ali

Thanks Jake forgot about that, yes probably not an IC hose then if you're making some positive boost then losing it. More likely one of the smaller hoses somewhere or :gulp: blow second turbo :scare:

Hi

I have just had a similar problem first turbo spools up but then when the second turbo goes to spool up it stalls, and I got a drop in pressure.

Turned out there was a split in the egcv hose.

There are two very useful articles in the Technical FAQ section that explain what happens when it all goes wrong. There are pictures labeling all the hoses too. I printed them off for future reference, many thanks to the guys that put them together :clap:

There was enough slack in my hose to remove the split bit and reconnect it, though I will be replacing the hoses as soon as I get paid! Think envy are selling a set at a good price at the moment.

Hope that helps

Ali

Thanks ill take a look and see if i can find this hose causing all my loss in power. i really appreciate all your help please keep the good information coming. also were can i buy the pipes from you said envy were is the best website for supra items and not to dear. i have seen the american supra website

Envy are listed in the forum under the traders section.

Thread showing the hose kit installed.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=34740&highlight=hose+envy

Thread started by Gaz Walker at envy with pics of the kit

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=32363

Good luck

Ali

thanks for that i just hope this works and its the pipe

I will be tacking a look this Friday to see if this pipe is hiding some were in the engine bay will have to take the 1st hoses air intake and one to the inter-cooler as you cant see any thing with them in the way lol. if any one else has any ideas please let me know ill be grateful. i will keep trying tell she is fixed miss driving her now only been 4 days lol but you know what its like owning a supra you just cant wait to take her out and i cant :-(.

by the way if any one on here wants plumbing stuff drop me a email i will be able to sort you out with a forum discount lol

see you all soon