The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Electric Boost Controllers

terribleturner

Hey James,

With most boost controllers you can control how fast/slow the turbo's reach the desired boost. This is known as 'Duty Cycle' on Apexi controllers but I think it's known as something else on the other brands.

AFAIK the higher this is the the more likely the boosting will spike momentarily to acheive this. The lower the duty cycle, the more stable the boosting is. This is all controllable and the apexi has two user settings, you may want to keep one for normal driving and one for 'spirited/drag driving'. The apexi AVCR unit also has rpm and gear based duty cycle. Display is shown as digital numerical display, graph or dial. Cold weather will still affect the boosting so you may want to turn the boost/duty down a bit when that happens.

Ro

With most boost controllers you can control how fast/slow the turbo's reach the desired boost. This is known as 'Duty Cycle' on Apexi controllers but I think it's known as something else on the other brands.

I think you mean "Gain" mate. Duty Cycle is the percentage the valve is opening. At least, that's my understanding of it.

I think it's the same thing! 'Gain' is used by blitz, 'Duty cycle' by Apex-i! Yes it's the movement of the valve.

Some blurb from apex-i

http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_electronics_detail.asp?id=200&pageNum=1

The AVC-R is a digital boost controller that allows the user to modify the boost pressure level on turbocharged vehicles. While there are many boost controllers on the market, none of the other includes as many features as the AVC-R, period. Despite all of the complex features included the unit, the AVC-R is flexible enough to be used by beginners. Entry level users need only to input a desired boost level and the AVC-R's trademark self learning CPU processor does the rest.

The AVC-R also uses a highly durable, fast action solenoid valve to physically control the boost . The valve movement (Boost Duty Cycle) can also be modified. Raising the duty cycle increases boost response, while lowering the duty cycle will slow boost response. This feature allows boost response adjustment for varying turbo sizes. Since larger turbos take longer to spool up ( bad low end response) the duty cycle should be raised under lower RPM's for better response. The opposite should be done for smaller turbo's ( excellent low - mid range response, but limited top end power.) A'PEXi engineers address this issue by including extra menus for RPM based boost control. Drag racers may want to utilize the Gear based boost control function. Aside from the basic functions above, the AVC-R has a Start Duty Setting (allows the boost to momentarily overshoot according to gear).

The AVC-R also includes a Scramble Boost function which allows the user to momentarily raise or lower the boost level at the push of a button. Raising the boost level is commonly used when an extra burst of power is needed (ex. entering a freeway). This feature can also be used in drag racing. The driver can set the main boost level to a low setting for maximum traction then, once full traction is achieved, the scramble boost can allow the vehicle to boost full power.

The AVC-R displays data in three different modes: Numerical, Analog, and Graph. Numerical Mode allows the user to monitor up to four different parameters in numbers and also shows peak hold values on demand. The Analog Mode displays up to two values in an easy to read meter style display. Peak Hold is also included in this function. The Graph Mode offers real time graph plotting with a Ghost map trace feature built in. The graph can replay movement up to 60 seconds.

OK Ro you've now completely confused me. The one i have at the moment when out driving i can set it to the psi i desire by twideling the knob and looking at my boost gauge (not at the same time obviously). I have 2 setting set up, one for about 14/15psi and the other for 18/19psi. The other week i turned it down to compensate but unfortunatly wasn't enough and thus i hit boost cut. What i wanna know is with these more surficticated units if i set it to 1.2 bar, will it reach 1.2 bar and no more?? Or will it go over and do exactly what my current one does?

What i wanna know is with these more surficticated units if i set it to 1.2 bar, will it reach 1.2 bar and no more??
Yes, provided that it wouldn't be able to go over 1.2 bar without a boost controller or bleed device. If it'll boost past 1.2 bar anyway an EBC won't stop it. In which case you'd need a restrictor ring or to refit a cat.