The mkiv Supra Owners Club

newbie Q's and a little help please guys

ufop

Hi

I have just joined and have been looking at mk4 supras for a little while but kinda stopped after most of the ones I saw seemed over priced and had way too many miles on the clock!

just seen one not too far from me which is a L plate TT import with what seems to be 35K on the clock and all for £7000 too (it's on autotrader at the mo)

I thought I would go and take a look to see whats wrong with it as I thought that seemed a little cheap but to my surprise it seems to look to me to be pretty much ok although I have found a few probs.

It seems to be a fully standard GZ with original alloys, stereo and nasty space saver wheel (which looks like it's never been used).

it's had two owners and has got a couple of signs of wear n tear but everything does seem to fit with the age of the car and the mileage.

the wheels I think have the wrong size tyres on them

225/50's on the front and 245/50's on the back

all different makes (which is nice lol) the front ones look ok but one rear is new and the other needs changing big time as its right down to the wear indicator.

What is the correct sizes for jap import versions as so it will give me sometime to try n get the price down as I would likely want to change all the crappy tyres on it!

I need to go back and have another good check over it as im not sure if a full UK conversion has been done as I forgot to check the fog light but it did have one little after market switch so I guess someone could have put it into the rear light cluster? is that difficult to do?

The standard toyota stereo (cd/single cd indash and 6 cd in the boot) which worked ok on AM but FM it wouldnt find anything even radio 2 :-0 which I think they still find without a band expander (my prelude import did anyway).

It also has a really little box which is kinda a little wider and thinner than a matchbox which is just then the steering column which must be something to do with the stereo.

I think it said supra something on it and had power, volume up and down buttons and a mute I had a mess with it but it didnt seem to do anything although wires went off to the dash for it but even so the radio should have found radio2 yeah?

I just want to know what the box is and what it does or should do

I did have a quick test drive and the car seemed to drive really well and all the electrics I tried (windows, cruise ect) worked but it did have a fair few rattles!

the front was just from the top glovebox thing which was the lock so thats ok but in the back sounding like to boot it did make a fair old racket! like you have a lose tool kit ect

I know the car has a firm ride and the roads were a little crappy but it was loud.... once I got on to very new resurfaced roads it was fine but is this common?

sorry to ask so many questions and things but hey you know how it is you just dont want to buy aload of crap

thanks for any help you guys can help to a newbie :-)

oh and seems like a good forum/website

the wheels I think have the wrong size tyres on them

225/50's on the front and 245/50's on the back

What is the correct sizes for jap import versions

16" or 17"?

For 17" wheels the stock TT sizes are 235/45/17 front and 255/40/17 rear. I don't remember the tyre sizes for the stock 16" wheels. A search will tell you

I :blahblah: forgot to check the fog light but it did have one little after market switch so I guess someone could have put it into the rear light cluster? is that difficult to do?
no.

The standard toyota stereo (cd/single cd indash and 6 cd in the boot) which worked ok on AM but FM it wouldnt find anything even radio 2 :-0 which I think they still find without a band expander (my prelude import did anyway).

It also has a really little box which is kinda a little wider and thinner than a matchbox which is just then the steering column which must be something to do with the stereo.

I think it said supra something on it and had power, volume up and down buttons and a mute I had a mess with it but it didnt seem to do anything although wires went off to the dash for it but even so the radio should have found radio2 yeah?

Yeah

I did have a quick test drive and the car seemed to drive really well and all the electrics I tried (windows, cruise ect) worked but it did have a fair few rattles!

the front was just from the top glovebox thing which was the lock so thats ok but in the back sounding like to boot it did make a fair old racket! like you have a lose tool kit ect

I know the car has a firm ride and the roads were a little crappy but it was loud.... once I got on to very new resurfaced roads it was fine but is this common?

Rock hard tailgate rubbers are the usual culprit. About £15 to replace.

16" or 17"?

For 17" wheels the stock TT sizes are 235/40/17 front and 255/40/17 rear. I don't remember the tyre sizes for the stock 16" wheels. A search will tell you

no.

Yeah

Rock hard tailgate rubbers are the usual culprit. About £15 to replace.

:yeahthat:

There'll be a few bits to sort on an import no matter how good it is, you'll no doubt find the owner hasn't done everything since it was imported. Mine had new tyres, new battery, new bulbs. As long as you make sure the speedo has been changed and it's been undersealed (lots of debate on whether imports come in underselaed or not - some are some aren't) you should be alright.

As Jake says boot rubbers make a nasty squeaky noise, generally it's a big heavy car so there shouldn't be too many rattley bits!

Other than that it seems the stereo is your main concern? Just get a cheap UK stereo if that's the case. You're buying an expensive car here just try and get some money off and don't worry about little things like "Will I have to spend £100 on a new stereo!!".

the Prelude I have at the moment is a import too and the dealer seemed a little less than fully clued up about the supra, so I think the tyres will have just been changed for cheap rubbish just to get it passed through the MOT.

Cheers about the boot rubbers guys will check though.

Any easy ways to tell if the car has been undersealed or not? and how much does that tend to cost to get done if it hasnt?

I can afford to buy, insure and hopefully run that car (as I dont do huge miles) but im just trying to work out all the stuff I need to go back with to get the price down.

At the moment i'm working on all the tyres need changing as they are such a mix n match it's untrue! but they are at least the same size so thats better than some dealers I have seen!

oh and I will also have to get a cat 1 alarm and immobiliser on it which I guess will cost me a few hundred too else my insurance wont be valid :-0

anyone have any good or bad stories about alarms/immobilisers to avoide? I current have a GT auto alarms which is the 136/142 I think (from memory) which has always been great except when a passenger hasnt closed the door properly :-0

thanks guys

I have a Laserline 291, always worked and done what I want.

Look underneath and see if there's any dried greyish goo hanging from all the metalwork and chassis beams, that'll be the underseal stuff. Not sure how much it is if it's not been done.

Can you get any pics of car/engine bay/interior to post up? Peeps on here are pretty good at spotting problems just from pics!

For 17" wheels the stock TT sizes are 235/40/17 front and 255/40/17 rear.

Sorry to hijack but I have a question.

My stock 17 front wheel has 235/45/17 tyres. How does this affect the handling? Why would these have been fitted? Am I concerned over nothing?

Cheers.

• 1 year later...