The mkiv Supra Owners Club

help!! newbie needs insurance!!

Lubas

hi all!! i'm in a bit of a pickle,i currently drive a 200sx but i really want a supra tt import,i can afford to buy and run one but cant seem to get anyone to give me a non astronomical insurance quote!! the thing is i have a bit of a bad history.i got convicted of drink driving a year ago (dr10) and i'm only 21.i know insurance will be very very expensive but i cant find anyone that will insure me as a named driver on my mums (she's 50 with full no claims)policy for under £4000!! does anyone know of any insurance companys that might insure me at all? many thanks

Personally i think your only option is going to be bell or elephant and with a uk spec, more expensive to buy though and very rare. Im 20 but no convictions, 1 write off and pay 1400 with elephant

thanks very much!! i'm gona give them a call tomorrow. i'll hopefully have about£9000/£10000 to spend.do u think i'll get a uk for that??

£3500 on insurance are you mad! If I was you I really wouldnt bother. I think the £1000 I pay is too much.

yeah i know but i love the car!! :love: every car i've ever had has cost me over £1000 to insure.must be great to pay that for a soop!!

thanks very much!! i'm gona give them a call tomorrow. i'll hopefully have about£9000/£10000 to spend.do u think i'll get a uk for that??

But paying £3000-£4000 a year you would could afford to buy a Supra every 3 years or so. That's a totally mad amount of insurance.

Why not build up to it - get something else for now and build up some no claims discount. Remember you have to run this car too. Supras are getting cheaper, but running them (petrol, insurance, servicing, parts, etc) isn't.

But paying £3000-£4000 a year you would could afford to buy a Supra every 3 years or so. That's a totally mad amount of insurance.

Why not build up to it - get something else for now and build up some no claims discount. Remember you have to run this car too. Supras are getting cheaper, but running them (petrol, insurance, servicing, parts, etc) isn't.

i've got an s13 at the moment and its boring the pants off me,i've had an s14a so dont want another one of them,theres not many cars that live up to the supra in my eyes.

as for the price of insurance i dont think i've got much choice.do you guys think a uk one would be cheaper to insure?or even an n/a?

i've got an s13 at the moment and its boring the pants off me,i've had an s14a so dont want another one of them,theres not many cars that live up to the supra in my eyes.

as for the price of insurance i dont think i've got much choice.do you guys think a uk one would be cheaper to insure?or even an n/a?

Uk cheaper - NA more than a uk and jap TT (yes, I typed it right!)

...and people wonder why there are so many uninsured drivers on the roads.

i understand that my circumstances are a little different but insurance companys are making it impossible to drive anything better than a 4 door fiesta unless your over 25 or a millionaire!!

saying that i've just got a quote online from the AA as a second driver on a UK RZ and it was £1837.something doesnt seem right with that,gona ring them tomorrow.

i understand that my circumstances are a little different but insurance companys are making it impossible to drive anything better than a 4 door fiesta unless your over 25 or a millionaire!!
Not wanting to sound rude but that is mostly your own fault mate. :(

You're still paying the price for your crime.

For the record, I've got a dr10 as well. Luckily for me, mine was over 5 years ago so insurance companys don't charge me extra for it anymore.

Not wanting to sound rude but that is mostly your own fault mate. :(

You're still paying the price for your crime.

absolutley!! and to be honest i dont blame them.its young drivers that havnt been convicted of something serious that still have a hard time,thats what i dont agree with.all this ''dont do imports for under 25's'' they all say!! whats the difference?(apart from less power!lol):shrug:

They aren't less power, that's a myth mate. Some of the spare parts are more expensive and/or difficult to obtain. 95% (or more) of the parts are exactly the same though.

I think they charge more for imports just because they always charge more for anything they can think of.

my input here is pointless as it wont help much

but im 21 insured fc protected on a 94 jap spec TT with norwich union for 835per year

i had a rite pain in the ass getting insured. i had to go the underwriter directly to look over my circumstances.

i wouldnt pay 3k insurance on a supra. buy a uk spec or wait a few years