The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance offer

pab_s

As many of you will know I wrote my car off just over a week ago (search end of a dream). I have just had my first offer through for my car.

£4700.

She was a mint condition, Uk, I paid £10000 for her (no laughin) five months ago. I know that the price of them has dropped since I purchased her, but words fail me. I am insured through the clubs reccomendation sky.

Help

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I take it you didn't have an agreed value :( Way too low. Say if they can find a TT for that price in the same state as your own then you'll take 2 please :D

That was the reason that I went with sky I thought that they offered what it was insured for. Thats the probem with having 7 years no claims, you dont have the detailed knowledge that you realise you need until after the event :cry:.

Any advice on how to approach things? It is that far short of the mark I am thinking of contacting a solicitor.

It’s normal practice for insurance companies to make a piss-take offer on the first try, but very disappointed to hear they Sky have done this.

As others said, get some copies of autotrader adds and maybe use some examples of cars from Import companies (Newera, etc). Okay yours was a UK, but you can argue that its work more than the imports because of this.

With the condition yours was in I'd be very surprised if you could replace it for less than £10k.

Please keep us informed, my insurance is up next month and I was going to move to Sky, this is seriously making me reconsider!

Pab, did you fill out the agreed valuation form and submit photographic evidence of the condition of your car? I think the extra agreed valuation cost me an extra £30 then it had to be agreed by the underwriters.

Just noticed your last post about cameraphone.

Good luck

Rich

Pab, did you fill out the agreed valuation form and submit photographic evidence of the condition of your car? I think the extra agreed valuation cost me an extra £30 then it had to be agreed by the underwriters.

Just noticed your last post about cameraphone.

Good luck

Rich

Richard I never did this, the original call with sky was quick and effecient, I think it was with Jay?? I had read on here to ask for him but stupidly didn't realise that this did not come as standard. (No Laughing please).

As many of you will know I wrote my car off just over a week ago (search end of a dream). I have just had my first offer through for my car.

£4700.

She was a mint condition, Uk, I paid £10000 for her (no laughin) five months ago. I know that the price of them has dropped since I purchased her, but words fail me. I am insured through the clubs reccomendation sky.

Help

I used to work for an Insurance agents, years ago, what you need to do is get the autotrader, local papers and adverts from here and research the value of a replacement.

Submit a letter with the original adverts (take copies) and post off to the claims underwriter (get the name of the top person, who makes the decisions), in your letter state that you are a member of this club and have been for x years, and make sure they are fully aware that a large number of people of are watching the progress of your claim closely (which is completely true), do not threaten them, but make it clear that it could jeopardise their position as our recommended insurer.

They WILL lift their offer, as someone else said, they are trying it on and will be aware of this.

Next step, if they increase the offer favourably, so you can get a replacement, do so. Otherwise consider keeping your write-off (you still can) and use the balance of cash, to buy a NA or cheap TT and strip yours for parts, considering that your brakes are worth £300-400 straight away, and the engine!

Most insurers will not be aware of the intrinsic value of these cars.

Hope you get on OK!

like homer said, its the 'rules'

they come in first with a rediculously low offer to see if you'll bend over and take it, (i'm sure alot of people do), but send them evidence of what you payed plus evidence of all UK's of a simmilar spec for sale and ask them to provide some evidence that they can be found for 50p or what ever they offered you.

The second offer should be better,

it took me 3 offers and a couple of months bashing away but i got the full insured value back for mine eventually and i'm sure if you pester sky they'll do the same!!!

out of interest, is your car insured as a UK spec? check the paperwork as jae or whatever his name is told me my car was actually an rz. i walked away at this point. if the club recommended insurer cant be bothered to research the different models, they are not worthy in my opinion

Funny how Sky are experienced in Supras when it comes to qouting the premium yet know f*ck all and have to resort to the Glasses Guide when it comes to making an offer?

The club has put lots of business their way, maybe not directly down to them but they need to kick arse and support a member in a situation such as this.

Paul