The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Once you mod ... can you stop ?

Clarkey

I'm curious about this .. as I've asking myself this question for sometime now.

I bought my Supra in May last year .. and then it was 100% stock. I was advised by a friend that buying a stock car is the ideal choice.

Since then the car has gone from being stock ... BPU ... and now single turbo. The single turbo mod being done ... because of my twins failing. I think I've spent aproximately £6k thousand on the car - in mods. When I think/type "£6k" ... I think "Jesus Christ" :scare:

My last mods to the car will be an EBC and perhaps RLTC. And then leave the car as it is.

Now, a true enthusiast probably wouldn't bat a eyelid at those figures. As there's a fair number of members on this board ... that no doubt have invested double or triple that figure on their cars.

I guess my line of questioning is ... how far do you want to go ?

Is there a line that you have drawn saying ... "No. No more now." ...

Or is it "Hmmm, that would be nice ... it's only £xxxx ... Sod it! That's what credit cards are for."

I think for me, it's the former ... before the value of mods start to outweigh the market value of the car.

Discuss.

I think for me, it's the former ... before the value of mods start to outweigh the market value of the car.

an interesting point in this bit - do any of us care if mods outweigh market value?

i certainly dont, i must have spent easily the price i paid again on top to mod it, but im not bothered that i wont get it back, i aint doin this for the money -i am doing it because i always wanted to!

with falling car prices parts may drop a bit.
Hmm. Wouldn't you say that if car prices continue to decline .. therefore more people will be able to afford to buy Supras ?

If that is true .. doesn't it also follow that ... because the Supra consumer market pool has expanded .. that could potentially cause the prices in bits/spares to rise ?

Eg .. there's more people who own a Supra -now- than last year ... therefore more people are likely to buy bumpers, skirts, spats, bling, turbo's, injectors .. and so forth.

If the market increases prices fall.

I don't follow that.

If there's more people owning Supras .. wouldn't that mean that - there's the potential for more people to buy spares/parts (mods) ... thus inflating the prices - basically ... there's more demand for kit .. than there was previous year.

If you mean - if the market increases of Supra ownership .. then car prices of will fall .. then yes I agree.

What will happen and it allready has started is that modded cars will start to lose the money they used to command. A J-spec with UK spec brakes front and back used to be able to ask about £500 more than its equivalent J-spec braked car now it just doesn't. BPU upgrades like an FMIC with a decent exhaust, boost controller and gauge, and a decat used to give you about a grand on the value over a stock car. Now you'd be lucky if it added a couple of hundred quid. Consider the fact that added together these parts cost at least £2.5k never mind the labour of fitting its just ridiculous that people expect to be given this kit for less than £500 over stock. Feck that I'll strip my car and flog it in bits before I'll give it away.

Well its basic enconomics, there are more people in the market place, leading to more competition, same with anything, TV's. PS2s etc. Plus when the products are flooding the market they'll drop, I remember when the Blitz Nur Spec used to cost around £650, now you can pick em up for around 300!

Supra prices will fall also if there are more due to competition, rare things = high prices.

Not yet but its getting that way. To be fair the mods on my car i can easily transfer to my aristo. In fact the engine in my supe has less miles on it than the aristo has and has the HKS cams in so I'd be better off swapping the whole donk over than f*ckin about takin the cams out and swapping them. The UK spec brakes with brembos I can swap straight over for the J-spec brakes on the aristo. The interior I can swap for a stock leather and £600. The stereo I can straight take out. I have spare cats so I can take the decats out. I have a stock exhaust so I can swap that straight out as well. I dont mind selling the car as is but I aint giving my mods away. I payed good money for the car because it had these mods on, be f*cked if I'm now less than a year later letting a non club member walk off with them for nowt :D

Each car is different, the one you mentioned had mods and was ~100k?

But yeah prices have fallen generally, I think its more down to age than the car itself, there still arnt a lot of new cars that can touch it for performance.

I bet fuel price has had a large impact on prices too.

The market is getting flooded with imports (especially N/A's) and that means the prices will drop accordingly across the board. The more discerning buyer will look for a low mileage Uk model with history etc but lets be realistic, how many of these discerning buyers are there? Who wants to shell out top rates for a car of that age?

As for if you can stop once you start to mod - well, I am not the best person to answer that eh? :blush:

Guest Terry S

Clarkey, if it makes you feel any better mate, I have a spreadsheet with my mods on, and parts alone ( read no labour) the cost would be £30k+........