The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tread ware

Daston

Hi guys,

Just spent a few hours jacking up the car to see how my new 17" wheels fit on the rear, only to find some real odd tyre ware on the ones I have at the mo, both seem to be nearly bold on the inside! is this normal?

Second question is I am running 16" wheels allround is it wise to bung the 17" on the rear with 16" on the front as my front 17" dont have tyres yet, or should I just not use the car and wait????

You can tune the inner edge wear out to a fair degree with tyre pressures, I run 34psi up front and it seems to wear within a couple of mm across the whole tyre. Probably depends on suspension setup, height, camber, wheel size, offset, and the phase of the moon though :)

-Ian

The above is correct.... but it does depend on what you've done to your suspension. If it is lowered then you'll get a different pattern of wear, if you've had extra camber then you'll get another pattern of wear.

First thing to check is your tracking.... if this is out only by a fraction then you'll get a lot of tread wear.

Next thing is your tyre pressures.... the stock setup on a Supra means you have an amount of -ve camber... if your tyres are under pressure then you'll get a lot of wear on the inside. Try putting the pressures upto 38psi on the front... this will make better use of the middle tread, and it will naturally use the outer tread of the tyre when cornering.

Most tyres are rated upto 50+ psi soo you have plenty of experimentation to get you going for a while.

I always set my pressures so that I get even tread wear. For my car which has 18" alloys so therefore a lower profile than stock means I run 39psi on the front and 37psi on the rear.

This will be different for each and every tyre make as they are all different designs and tend to 'sit' on the alloy slightly differently.