The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheap front mount

mr keef

Ok a while ago i bought this cooler off ebay,it was in this country too cost me 100 pounds,then i bought some pipework off ebay too,with some silicone hose and clips for 80 pound.The cooler i took too a fabricator and he said the quality was excellent and all the welds etc were spot on.So after a bit off rolling round the floor i got the thing mounted,and all plumbed in,and the car feels great,so it cost me £180 pounds to go front mount,not bad if ya willing to have a go,and quite a saving.here's some pics of the cooler mounted before i plumbed it in,and the hoses i used.

Pipe_hose.jpg

When i mounted it at the top using threaded bar and nuts as in the pics,i also used the clamp off the standard pipework set up,that ran along the back of the radiator,i fixed this to one side,using threaded bar again,and it bolted from the bottom of the cooler to the engine tray bolt hole,i think its 3 row,and its big as you can see,also i never had to relocate anything for the pipework.i also know you can buy the proper pipework from ebay for the supra,i think this was around 200 pound,so even doing it that way makes a nice saving.

ps the extra threaded bar that you see sticking up on the cooler was cut off :p before you start!that pic was taken when i first put the cooler on.

Keef,

Have you got any pics of it fitted?

What are the pipes made from? Aluminium, stainless steel or mild steel?

I notice the pipes don't have a lip near the ends to help the hose connectors stay on. Has it been ok?

Ello mate,i used pliers to bend the ends out slightly,also a bit of emery cloth to rough where the hoses clips and silicone end would sit,never had any probs so far,here is the discription on the pipes i bought :-

100 % BRAND NEW IN ORIGINAL BOX, NEVER BEEN TRIED ON AND USED

90 degree Mandrel Bent Piping! Offers up to 45% increase flow compared to standard bent piping!

High Quality 6061 Aluminum Pipes

The perfect kit for the Do It Yourself or professional builder!

Includes: 6 Aluminum Pipes, 6 Blue Connectors & 12 Clamps

Pipe Overall Length: 445 mm

Pipe Thickness: 1.58 mm

Pipe Diameter: 76mm

We only sell HIGH QUALITY Auto Accessories, bid with 100% confidence

here is the link to the guys shop,the hoses came wraped in bubble wrap,and in boxes,got to me in about 5 days,and all i got charged was 86 pounds inc the shipping etc.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AutoInduction_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm

ohh by the way i got 3 inch pipe,i think they do different sizes.

SSAutochrome jobby? I had one of those. BARGAIN kit for the price. Looks about the same as the greddy 3 row apparently.

Ello steve,the cooler was from a place in uk,the guy had them on ebay for 100 pond buy it now,while ago now,i think they the same as the ss autochrome one. :thumbs:

Thanks mate. That's good if they're aluminium. From what I've read it's a bad idea to use steel (rust inside the pipe will get in the engine) and stainless is not good for heat dissipation.

Was it difficult to make it all fit? Some of the bends on a Supra specific hard pipe kit look quite different to the bends in your kit.

Thanks mate. That's good if they're aluminium. From what I've read it's a bad idea to use steel (rust inside the pipe will get in the engine) and stainless is not good for heat dissipation.

Was it difficult to make it all fit? Some of the bends on a Supra specific hard pipe kit look quite different to the bends in your kit.

I just took my time i'll try take some pics mate,behind the bumper,my car is a 6s manual,so i dont know if there would be a difference in pipe route,for an auto,just had to hacksaw the pipes for the right length etc.you could easily do the job in a day.

Hey Mr Keef,

Tempted to try this myself, I have attached a pic of Robs FMIC for sale (hope you dont mind dude!), apart from the rubber pipes which can obviouly be bought, the steel ones seem to have a few bends.

The ebay ones are straight, how did you get round this? Mainly the one on the far left.

Cheers dude! :thumbs:

09102005.jpg

the left side of the cooler,i kept the pipe that went through the wing,due to a freind borrowing a pipe :innocent: ,but i will sort this,still used a ali pipe from the cooler though,and the right side was the hardest,used all ali pipes.not a major pita though.i using the car over the weekend,so ill take pics mate.

• 4 weeks later...

I've bought one of those Hybrid FMIC kits. It looks really good and the pipework hoses and clips look like good quality stuff too. The only bad points were that it took nearly three weeks to arrive rather than the three days quoted and a week after it was delivered I got a VAT demand through the post :(

http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/4791/p10100632my.th.jpg http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/5216/p10100628qj.th.jpg

It's core is 600w x 80d x 290h and the over all thing is 760w