The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mixing semi synth / fully synth oil

Eric Kasir

OK, this is probably a really stupid question, but.....

My car currently has semi synth in. It is a bit low and needs topping up, I assume I am going to either

a) have to top up with semi synth

or

b) if I want to go to fully synth, do a compete oil change

ie. I can't just bung synth in on top of the semi thats already in there.

TIA

Eric

Guest Martin F

That's right Eric.

You shouldn't mix two different types of oil.

Also if you do go fully synthetic, then it's worth doing an engine flush at the change.

If i was in your position i would probably buy a small bottle of semi until the next change.

Guest Martin F

£200...............................J*sus Ducking Chri$t!!!!!!!!

I know nothing about Porsches, but if it takes them an hour to change it then either they need the sack, or Porsches are not designed with maintenance in mind.

£85, must be that stuff with little bits of gold in!!!!!

When I was looking at a 911 Turbo I said to the bloke that I change my oil every 4000 miles and he said "You won't with this" so I told him that of course I would because oil's cheap and engines are expensive, then he hit me with the £150 oil change bit and capacities!

My face must have been a picture, like you say Martin - how the hell do you drain it?

Cheers,

Because it is dry sump it sits in two tanks in the front right wing and rear right wing and is pumped around the engine all the time.

Apparently, because the oil pipe runs thru the r/h door sill the drivers side of the car gets much hotter than the passenger side when the oil is hot!

Cheers,

Recently chatting about a chaps new 911 Turbo 199 (thats the MPH apparently, cost about 150 grand).

AFN charg 105 +VAT per hour

6 quid for windscreen wash liquid during a service

It uses 1 litre of Mobil 1 every 500 miles ( he lives in Kingston/South France - 4 litres for a run home and back....)

He lives on a slope and that causes oil to drain into the cylinders.  Oil loss straight away and a full hydraylic lock if he's unlucky.

You do get a nice little bag of mints thought!!!!!

MMmmmmm the Porsche experience........  Not sure about that one