The mkiv Supra Owners Club

So why don't I need an FCD?

Paul Booth

Got both de-cat pipes fitted this a.m. (3" APEXi).

Whoohaaaaaa! From wafting sedately passed 120MPH, it now goes passed 120MPH still pulling like a train (lurve that wonderful whistle it has now).

Didn't try to find the top, roads are wet and yer never know.

Jeezus it just seems to keep pulling like an electric motor.

Anyway, back to the topic. I can't make it 'fuel-cut', whatever I do. What does that mean?

Here I am with my nice shiny new FCD from Pete and the car doesn't want me to fit it.

Hi...

I guess your still running the stock exhaust ? ....The stock exhaust is quite restrictive by all accounts and will on some cars keep the boost under 1 bar thus avoiding fuel cut.

If you want to boost higher fit a Super Drager etc and watch it hit fuel cut (and probably boost through the roof).

Quote: from GavinL on 3:58 pm on Oct. 7, 2001[br]Hi...

I guess your still running the stock exhaust ? ....The stock exhaust is quite restrictive by all accounts and will on some cars keep the boost under 1 bar thus avoiding fuel cut.

If you want to boost higher fit a Super Drager etc and watch it hit fuel cut (and probably boost through the roof).

More boost still? I'm not sure if I need it...... yet.

Yes I'm running the stock exhaust. I looked at it and it seems to be adequate until I get my UK brakes fitted (damn, meant to go in to Halfords and reconsider those Mag OZ Superleggera).

Go on Paul my son, ditch that stock exhaust.

If you think your car is quick now, then when you fit a Super Drager or an NUR Spec or whatever, the thing will take off.

*THEN* you will need to fit the FCD...

People get used to power really quite quickly.     It becomes "normal" after a fairly short space of time and you mind adjusts it's frame of reference.    It's a known phenomenon for racing drivers who got from Formula 3 to Formula 3000 to Formula1.    each step they all go "SO much power !  SO fast ! "  then a few weeks later they're all looking for more power.

Still on the stock exhaust......"I dont believe it"

Go on Paul, i've got a lovely selection of mkiv exhausts

in my garage just crying to be fitted to your car and release

looooooooooaaaads of power....  8-)

As for the OZ wheels, top choice, gis a shout if you want a

set at a HUGE discount  !

Bah....what a miserable day, aint stopped raining in Ashford  8-(

Quote: from Doughie on 6:10 pm on Oct. 7, 2001[br]Go on Paul my son, ditch that stock exhaust.

If you think your car is quick now, then when you fit a Super Drager or an NUR Spec or whatever, the thing will take off.

*THEN* you will need to fit the FCD...

People get used to power really quite quickly.     It becomes "normal" after a fairly short space of time and you mind adjusts it's frame of reference.    It's a known phenomenon for racing drivers who got from Formula 3 to Formula 3000 to Formula1.    each step they all go "SO much power !  SO fast ! "  then a few weeks later they're all looking for more power.

I know but I need those brakes first. S'no good being able to go quick if the only way you have of stopping quick is to drive into a wall.

I have a Super Drager earmarked but I also have new wheels, a boost gauge, EGT gauge and oil temp gauge higher up the list.

yep fair point about stopping.

why don't you try what *I* tried today (er, by accident) and that is revving it up to about 4500rpm in 2nd (in the pissing rain) and then upchanging to 3rd.    (er, yeah so what i har you all say).

Well unfortuantely i shifted too quick and DOWNchanged to 1st ........

It locked up the rear axle, slid right, then left, then right.....

dipped the clutch and gathered it all up.    no harm done !

heck you don't need brakes, just downchange when you meant to upchange.     gets the attention.

Paul, you are absolutely right IMO.

The braking and handling *must* be a match for the power.

I always think of the sheer engine power as the lion and the rest of the kit the lion-tamer. You must strike a balance between the two, otherwise disaster will almost certainly result.

It is nice knowing there is at least one other person on this list with the same idea.

Most of what I read is boost this and boost that.

Yours,

J  

Quote: from Ash on 8:41 pm on Oct. 7, 2001[br]

Paul, you are absolutely right IMO.

The braking and handling *must* be a match for the power.

I always think of the sheer engine power as the lion and the rest of the kit the lion-tamer. You must strike a balance between the two, otherwise disaster will almost certainly result.

It is nice knowing there is at least one other person on this list with the same idea.

Most of what I read is boost this and boost that.

Yours,

J  

Well to keep it in the same vein, having *boosted* my grip in the wet with the Eagle F1s, I now want to *boost* my brakes to make better use of that. :)

I won't be a hypocrite and say I'm sensible, I'm just s**t scared of finding some farm implement in the road rounding a bend; not enough to make me drive slowly but enough for me to want *BIG* brakes.

Now what was Justin on about those Superleggeras then, *OI! JUSTInnnnnnnnnn*.

Quote: from Ring Master on 8:59 pm on Oct. 8, 2001[br]

ROFL!!!

Drop me a mail with the sizes (and tyres) you want and

ill sort you out a tasty price  8)

Sent it, yesterday, right after I posted OI Justinnnnnnn.

In it, I asked how confident you are they will fit over the UK spec brakes? That was my reason for getting them through Halfords, if they don't fit it's their problem.

Well?

Quote: from Paul Booth on 4:07 pm on Oct. 7, 2001[br]

Yes I'm running the stock exhaust. I looked at it and it seems to be adequate until I get my UK brakes fitted (damn, meant to go in to Halfords and reconsider those Mag OZ Superleggera).

Paul......There is a MKIV round at Leon's with 18" OZ Superleggera's fitted. They look quite good on a silver car and in my opinion would look even better on a red one. You wil be please to note that this car had a set of AP brakes nestling under the wheels. I think Branners will confirm that AP's are larger than the UK spec brakes which would suggest you may well be okay with that choice of wheel.

regards...........

Quote: from GavinL on 12:45 pm on Oct. 13, 2001[br]

Paul......There is a MKIV round at Leon's with 18" OZ Superleggera's fitted. They look quite good on a silver car and in my opinion would look even better on a red one. You wil be please to note that this car had a set of AP brakes nestling under the wheels. I think Branners will confirm that AP's are larger than the UK spec brakes which would suggest you may well be okay with that choice of wheel.

regards...........

AP brakes are way bigger than UKL spec.

I'm feeling more optimistic by the day. Wheelmania in Birmingham will sell me a set of Superleggeras (10" & 8" or 9") for £1100 and they talked as if they've already fitted them to a UK spec Supra as they seemed to know all about the issues.

I've told them they can have my pennies when I get a fax saying they've checked and confirmed it.

Halfords want £1400+ for the same set and Justin says they don't make 10".

Concerned but not worrying too much just yet.

Quote: from Paul Booth on 3:37 pm on Oct. 13, 2001[br]
Quote: from GavinL on 12:45 pm on Oct. 13, 2001[br]

regards...........

AP brakes are way bigger than UKL spec.

I'm feeling more optimistic by the day. Wheelmania in Birmingham will sell me a set of Superleggeras (10" & 8" or 9") for £1100 and they talked as if they've already fitted them to a UK spec Supra as they seemed to know all about the issues.

I've told them they can have my pennies when I get a fax saying they've checked and confirmed it.

Halfords want £1400+ for the same set and Justin says they don't make 10".

Concerned but not worrying too much just yet.

I will have a look at the wheels on this car and see what I can gleen on size.

(Edited by GavinL at 3:10 pm on Oct. 14, 2001)

Quote: from Simon on 9:14 pm on Oct. 13, 2001[br]No Paul, no worries!

Just that every time you want to 'fight' someone in your car you'll find it will automatically select reverse.

Yeah, but imagine a Supra that will clock 160MPH in reverse gear and pick up women even when I'm not in it.

Just gotta deal with the wheels' electrics failing every 1,000 miles and bits of the dashboard dropping off after every pot hole.

The only caveat for Italien wheels seems to be delivery time from my experience.

With my first Supra I ordered a set of Masitaly wheels and was promised 4-6 weeks. To cut a long story short I managed to get my deposit back when they hadn't turned up after 4 months (I had traded in the car with Tim by then for an Aerotop with 18"s!).

They turned up another 2 months later and the shop rang and offered them to me at a good price so I put it on the list to see if anyone was interested but no joy so I declned.

Cheers,

Phil 'not a patient man' Duley

I've got stock discs with those 'blue' pads (don't know what they are, ask Leon - he used to have them) mine stops ok with just that. Haven't done a hard track day so don't know if they'd give up the ghost under those conditions, but fine for road use up to 160ish & lots of dual carriageway roundabouts on Peterborough parkways!