The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Squeaking Breaks

Pig

Put new pads on the front last week. Done about 200miles this week and pads still really load squeak when breaking at really low speeds 1-5mph any ideas?

I must be honest i didnt fit those thin metal plates that go between the pad and caliper.

Thanks in advance

Mine are shocking as well. New front pads and discs about 5000 miles ago and they squeal like a stuck pig! (no pun intended!)

Its actually getting embarrasing as it sounds like there is something wrong with the car!

I used to love it when people would to look round when they heard the sup coming. Now all they hear is Roar, Woosh, Squeeeeaaaaallllllll ! Not Cool!

If anyone knows how to stop or reduce this I would love to know as well!

NB sorry to steal the thread, As a quick side issue the reason I changed my fronts was beacuse I warped one of the discs. The discs where a well expensive drilled and groved set. Can these be re-machined to take out the warp or are they just scrap as their currently taking up space in my garage?

I must be honest i didnt fit those thin metal plates that go between the pad and caliper.

There's your reason. They're called 'anti squeal shims' for a reason :p

Nev, as mentioned before I think your issue might be the same.. what pads did you have fitted? I forgot!

Get the anti-squeal shims if you haven't got them.

A thin layer of copper grease smeared on the edges of the backing plate where it comes into contact with the caliper and some on the back .

Careful not to use too much and it doesn't come in contact with the friction material and the disc.

Don't bother if you don't know what you're doing though and get someone that does.

Hi Homer, their EBC (standard road) pads. If you remember the wear material on the pad seems so hard its actually scoring groves on my discs! (the buggers!)

FYI, The discs are Genuine Toyota.

Thinking of backing the pads with cotton wool and marsh mallows to see if that helps!!!

Homer

I`ll have em if thats OK. I`ll try anything to stop em from making such a noise!

Are you going to Santa Pod?

I'm not going to pod (was too late to get a pass :( ), but you've got first refusal on them. You know where I am if you want to pick em up!

If you're going to use the shims, buy some new ones from Toyota. You're supposed to change them when you change the pads. Old ones get corroded and give you a spongy feeling pedal. You shouldn't need them though, the brakes feel much better without them and shouldn't squeel too much with some copperslip on the back. I haven't used shims for ages and mine don't squeel at all (CW fast road pads or standard Toyota ones). EBC pads have a reputation for being shite on here btw, especially the Green stuff ones!

Yep, thats them and you can add me to the list of people confirming that they are total c**p. Would never buy them again, not only do they squeal, the feel is poor and they are absolutely eating through my discs!

Looking to re-evalute the whole braking thing at some point.

However, still hoping someone can advise If there is any saving my lovely drilled and groved front discs?

If you're going to use the shims, buy some new ones from Toyota. You're supposed to change them when you change the pads. Old ones get corroded and give you a spongy feeling pedal. You shouldn't need them though, the brakes feel much better without them and shouldn't squeel too much with some copperslip on the back. I haven't used shims for ages and mine don't squeel at all (CW fast road pads or standard Toyota ones). EBC pads have a reputation for being shite on here btw, especially the Green stuff ones!

Interesting, I have the CW fast road pads and they're superb, but the shims were reused... This is the 1st time I've heard that it's better to remove them (Though I can see the logic in it). Will give CW a call about this as I greatly value his advice!

I had Green stuffs in before and they were far, far worse than stock items. They're hopeless when cold, take ages to heat up but then overheat in no time. I don't think VIL has these but I havn't heard much positive info about EBC's...

By chance while searching for something else yesterday I saw the following tip for stopping brake squeal :

Incase you didn't already know, if you file the forward edge of the brake pad to a slight angle (ie. so the pad is LESS than 90 Degrees to the surface of the disc) it REALLY DOES work!!!

I just used some sand paper to do it and for the first time in the last year they haven't sqeeled or screeched once!!! bliss!!!

______________| (disc)

|______\ (pad)

Don't know if it works or not.

Sounds good, but wouldn't that reduce the efficiency of the brakes? :conf: Less pad to disk surface area etc.

Then again I suppose it's a small price to pay if you have to put up with that annoying squeak every time you brake..... a friend of mine had the same problem on his Pug 406 coupe... the resolution? Don't EVER brake gradually, leave it until the last minute then slam the anchors on :D

thanks guys. can i ask though. Whats copperseal? will be ordering the antisqueal things tommorrow. lol was gunna reuse the old ones but didnt realise they would be stuck to the pads....dont normally like to cut corners. not totally sure where to put this copper seal. do you mean between the metal (back) of the pad and the anti squeal tin metal jobby. cheers

It's Copper Slip mate, not copper seal. It's heat resistant grease with copper in it. Used on high temp applications like exhaust manifold studs, brake components, etc

It doesn't easily wash off and doesn't melt away unless you can manage well over 1000°C