The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best breakdown recovery service?

Paul -C-

I'm with whoever I get with my insurance company. Costs me £65 per year for roadside assistance and recovery / home start / relay / etc. (to use the AA-isms).

I was with the AA for years when I drove bangers but got fed up with the price and the increasing number of times that they just sent out any old local garage instead of a pukka AA van.

Things may have changed now, though. They certainly pulled my fat out of the fire a few times in my Metro owning days.

AA always!

Years ago I had a Triumph TR7 (coz I loved spending money needlessly and thought rust was a good thing!) and went with the RAC. On one of its many breakdowns on the M4 they left me stranded there for 5 hours and sent two wrong towing vehicles in that time! After complaining I got my money back but would never go back to them or recommend anyone else does.

Pay the little bit extra with the AA for quality service. IMO go for the £90 option from memory as this includes you and your car taken to your choice of destination rather than the nearest garage. Breaking down in the middle of the night and sleeping in your car on a garage forecourt is not fun, take it from me!

AA......

but, mainly 'cos i'm too lazy to change/hunt around ! ! :rolleyes:

only problem was waiting ~5 hours to be picked up from a 'transfer' coming

back from Elvington (?!?!?!?!? :scare: )

They picked me up form Elv' OK, but then dropped me off at Toddington

.....and..........................

Every time i RE-phoned them they gave me a "no record of your recovery"

thang ? ! ? ! ?

I got home ~3am Monday morning :violin:

Other times it's always been 1/2 - 1 1/2 hours and no problems.

AA without shadow of doubt.

I had to get the Supe from Warwick service station on the M40 - due to a broken crank pully - All the way to my garage of choice in Dorchester, Dorset.

Which they duly did without question.

Excellent service.

Highly reccomend the AA.

I used to work for an independant breakdown company and done work for all the different breakdown companies.

I'm presently covered by the RAC as they offered a policy that was for any car I drive and the minibus that I was driving at the time (AA couldn't cover that).

However I would recommend National Breakdown above most and will be changing back to them when I need to re-new. They do not have any of thier own vans or trucks so in the event of a breakdown they dispatch their nearest agent to you straight away. This agent has to attend in a vehicle prepared to recover if required (except on home start) so you wont be left at the side of the road waiting for the flat-bed. About two weeks after the breakdown you will recieve a questionare about the level of service that you recieved from both the operators and the agent. This questionare is followed through with the agent so if service is poor they will get a bo!!ocking about it and if they are too frequent they will lose the contract.

As said above though lots of insurance companies offer very good deals and most of them are covered by Green Flag.

You pays your money, you takes your choice. get fliers off all of them (or check websites out) and see which suits your needs best.