The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying Advice

dave100

Hi Guys im new to supras and am considering buying one over here in NI

I will give brief details before i see it on sat in the hope that some one can advise me on value. seller is asking £12500

1995 JDM TT manual (English Reg M661 XHC since reregd)

90000kms and 65000kms on rebuilt engine

650 BHP (yeah rite)

Alledgedly £36000 spent on engine

Usual extras associated wth big power engine but iv gotta see all the receipts

T88 turbo

anti lag

HKS coilovers

TP clutch and LW flywheel

nitrous

veilside kit trd wing

BAD BITS

problem going into reverse (prob synchro?)

Resprayed from white to electric blue but not an engine out job

No rear seats due to huge sound system

19" chromes but comes with GS300 18s

My mechanic has advised to avoid like the plague due to the respray. Is it worth a look?

TP clutch?

Gear selection issue - either 4k for a new box, 1k for a s/hand one, £Xk for a rebuild or it's just a case of tired/wrong oil! (Yes the oil in the box can make a huge difference.)

Respray - as long as it's good on the outside then no need to worry lots of full body respreays don't do under the bonnet. Get an independent check done.

Rear seats are over rated ;)

Fit the GS300's for driving around in and fit the 19's when parked at a show.

Antilag will kill the turbo....what's the ECU controlling it?

Veilside kits are of limited appeal.

Nitrous...is it on a progressive controller?

What size are the injectors?

What fuel pump?

Again what's the ECU controlling everything?

You need MUCH more info on the spec OR you need to be allowed to get it independently inspected by someone who knows what they are talking about.

Chrz for the quick replys guys. Il do my best here:

Twin plate Apexi clutch (purple in colour-the seller doesnt seem to know much abt the tech side by his own admission)

Gear selection issue - hav been told that this can be fixed before purchase

Antilag will kill the turbo....what's the ECU controlling it? Defi-didnt realize they did ECUs!

Veilside kits are of limited appeal-point taken

Nitrous...is it on a progressive controller? Nitrous was supplied by creepy customs and fitted by TDi but since disconnected-dont know why

What size are the injectors? pass

What fuel pump? dont know but uprated

Again what's the ECU controlling everything?

TDi did alot of work yrs ago but they have no recollection of the car and they say that £36K aint a lot to spend on an engine- il need to see the receipts to see wots done exactly.

Also meant to have a full rebuild wth steel conrods, pistons etc but not done by TDi

Hmmm tough one to call...i'd advise getting the seller to allow you (with protection of some sort) to get the car inspected.

Defi don't make ECU's.

If TDI did lots of the work it's likely to have an HKS Fcon floating about inside it....somewhere.

The T88 is huge though....bit unweildy for UK roads IMO...but turbo's are interchangeable.

If its unweildy for UK roads, just make sure you don't take it south of the border in Ireland, the roads at times have to be experienced to be believed :)

I've just come back from a month touring over there, great place etc etc.

No really fast cars evident. I saw 1 Supra and 2 Skylines in a month.

I was thinking of going back over there with a quick car and road racing for money, sort of a "Two Lane Blacktop", although you'd definitely have to rename it "2 lane Pothole" :D

Geoff, no probs wont be in Ireland- hav the EVO there last time but defo not supra territory at all lol!

Would the T88 be easy to swap or does it require a new manifold, wastegate etc?

Oh yeah forgot to mention its covered in stickers. They hav been on for 9 months- will this be a problem removing them- faded paintwork??

• 2 weeks later...

Went to see the 650 bhp one this morn.

Seems an ok car but too many unknowns abt it at t moment-will need a mechanics inspection as t owner by his own admission aint too clued in.

Stiff going into gear and nearly impossible to select reverse. Owner has been told its the clutch needing replaced-so thats abt £900 for a twin plate :(

Respray not done under bonnet

no history on car at all :thumbdown

Looking £12K.

Unbelievably fast tho. Got 160mph in 4th before he had to slow but to be honest i wouldnt know the difference between 400, 500, or 600 bhp. It did make my 330bhp evo feel rather tame tho :shock: Supposedly ran a 10s quarter.

What u guys think?