The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking to buy a Supra

Supralookin

Hi, I apologise if this is being posted in the wrong forum, it's just I have tried to post in the FOR SALE section but I am awaiting activation? :tongue:

I just have a couple of questions to ask, I'm looking at buying a Supra and would kindly appreciate any comments.

Having looked through autotrader and e-bay I note there are alot of Silver Supra's for sale. I'm after a black/blue colour etc, is this going to cost me more?

My budget is around £6000 for the car. What can I expect to get for this? I've also taken a look on some importers websites (Bonsai Cars ) http://www.bonsaicars.com/ and there prices seem very reasonable. Is there anything I should take note of when buying an import etc.

Thanks and sorry if you've heard all this before.

Lee

To be honest I think a non turbo would be more appropriate as I've not had my driving license that long. What's the big difference between turbo and non turbo, obvously the power but any major differences? Where should I be looking for a mint model? What in your terms is classed as mint model, specs etc?

Many thanks

Be very careful if you've just got your license, Supras are not very forgiving, and it's easy for even experienced drivers to make mistakes.

You'll likely be getting plenty of suggestions to get a lower power FWD car until you get some experience.

If you seriously want a Supra - Jurgen on this BBS has a good reputation for good quality imports. but I would definitely steer clear of TT's for the moment.

:welcome:

Mike

I'm assuming your getting a non-turbo? For £6000 you will get a mint N/A or a sh!t TT. Colour doesnt really affect price imo.

2nd that :thumbs:

You'll get a decent NA auto or manual for that price, maybe even an aero. TT would mean hardtop auto only.

You'll need a few £k more for a half decent TT manual or auto/aero model.

In your budget you're looking at the 'early' colours only, black will probably command a premium, silver/red/blue go for mid price and white tend to be cheapest.

Bonsai have a fairly good reputation here, but there's a lot cheaper and preferable options if you want to do a private import (Jurgen, etc)

Hi Mike,

I've had my drivers allowance for 2 years but that still doesn't help when it comes to insurance! I'm also 24 which goes against me too but as I can pay momthly it's not that big a deal. I have a MR2 at present and was just looking for a second addition to my sporty collection :cool: , I'll definately be doing some more research before I buy.

Hey no offence intended Supralookin, but just recently I've heard a couple of guys straight out of their test who wanted to get a Supra, thats just plain :looney: I've been driving for 12 years and the Supra still let's me know who's boss.

If you've got an MR2 then you'll have a bit of experience, rather than jumping straight into a Soop from a 1.0 corsa with dual controls.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just letting you know my opinion.

and good luck with the search. :)

Mike

Hey no offence intended Supralookin, but just recently I've heard a couple of guys straight out of their test who wanted to get a Supra, thats just plain :looney:
and also that every year we get several newish Supra owners who don't last more than a few weeks/couple of months before losing the rear end and writing off their P&J :(

A Supra TT isn't the car to learn RWD control

(I know the OP is happy with an NA)

If I'd had my supra when I was younger / less experienced i WOULD have crashed it the first time it rained. I was actually lucky not to stack it anyway and I'd been driving for 4 years before I bought it.

I know it keeps getting said but everyone thinks they can handle a powerful RWD car straight out of the test centre (I did) - now I know differently :)

That said, good luck in finding your new pride and joy, just make sure it has the correct sized wheels on it (wider on the back) and decent tyres :ok:

If I'd had my supra when I was younger / less experienced i WOULD have crashed it the first time it rained. I was actually lucky not to stack it anyway and I'd been driving for 4 years before I bought it.

I know it keeps getting said but everyone thinks they can handle a powerful RWD car straight out of the test centre (I did) - now I know differently :)

That said, good luck in finding your new pride and joy, just make sure it has the correct sized wheels on it (wider on the back) and decent tyres :ok:

Second that......I very nearly had a nasty one when I first went out in mine in the wet......a bit to much throttle and I had the back end squirming about from lane to lane for about 100metres......only my quick thinking got it back in line!! I had a few quick cars before that but all front wheel drive, so I was chucked in at the deep end when I got the supra learning to handle a rear wheel drive car!! saying that, I used to sometimes go for a blast in one of my mates capri''s ha ha ha OLD SCHOOL :)

Welcome Lee.

If you have set your heart on getting a Supra follow your dream!

It can all end in tears, but buy carefully, drive like an OAP during the winter months and you will be fine!:whistle:

Its a wonderful car..but it dosn't handle like an MR2 as you know, just relax in the drivers seat with 'a nothing to prove' mentality and leave the Saxo Squad to drive like erratically handled shopping trolleys on Supermarket Sweep and you will survive as we have (well some of us):tongue:

Give it regular straight line bursts of power to release the testostorone when it gets too exciting! though..and drive through the tunnels with the windows down.. to get some feedback:thanku:

Welcome to the board mate