The mkiv Supra Owners Club

failed MOT query

RobSheffield

my car failed on 'sidelights not working with ignition off'

i was shown the bit in the book about this, that cars with dim/dip headlights and sidelights fitted should be able to have the sides switched on with ignition off

they didnt seem at all bothered when i told them that there are thousands of Supras and that i dont think i had heard it being an issue

am i right?

You have an alarm fitted, right?

Either they have tested the light after the immobiliser has cut off the circuit that is feeding the lights,

or the immobilser cut is on the main 12v feed to the ignition barrel.

Something wierd like that maybe.

Sidelights shold come on no problem with the ign off, so I would first start looking at the alarm cuts.

Test this by disarming the immobilser and trying the lights straight away.

HTH

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers rallure

ok folks (primarily people like Chris Wilson, who know these cars inside out!) is there any reason why sides wouldnt come on with ign off - like an inline fuse or some such thing

the car had an abflug nose, with NO sides in it when it was imported - i have since fitted clear toyota facelift sides but had to 'edit' the wiring

if anyone can suggest how i can get front n rear sides to work properly id be very grateful!