The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Black smoke

Registered Nutter

Having taken the general advice of not driving my car till the turbos have been sorted out. was showing the car to a friend the other day incase they had any suggestions as to my current problem when he noticed that black smoke was coming out the exhaust at 4000 rpm and above just hoping that this is part of my exsisting turbo problem and not anything else aswell. please bear in mind my tech knowledge is not that great. The car is going to tdi on thursday to be sorted out but as you guys have said before i dont want to give them a blank cheque.

cheers for any help :)

Dude,

If you have a turbo problem then its not a good idea to rev your engine up to 4000rpm, I've no idea of what your turbo problem is but if black smoke is coming out of your exhaust is definately a bad sign. If there is a oil supply problem within your engine then black smoke usually indicates that engine parts are being worn away, but I'm only guessing at your problem. Can be very expensive if you do it too often.

AJI

Tell me please, what is your current turbo problem?

Generally, at maximum boost, at wide-open throttle, someone following will see darker smoke coming from the exhaust. In a mild case, this is ordinary mixture enrichment that occurs at WOT with a high-power turbo car.

In a not so mild case it could be a result of a mega mixture enrichment due to someone having fitted some additional fuel injection device that is not set up properly.  

You say you did this after 30 seconds of running? in which case I am not surprised... the engine would have nowhere near completed its warm-up cycle, (enrichment phase).

But what is wrong with your car, exactly?

Yours,

J  

turbo problem copied from a previous post

Put my foot down the other day and everything was as normal until I shifted into 4th when I saw a fair sized cloud of smoke come out the back and no weird noises were made but obviously I pulled over rather concerned about my new car everything seemed fine so drove off again but no 2nd turbo.  The car doesn't make any disturbing noises or show any signs of having anything wrong with it apart from the lack of power. having spoken to TDI they said this is a common problem with the ceramic blades and they can disintegrate if pushed hard to much and suggested that I give them the car so they can send both turbos off to be rebuilt and have steel blades put in them. Does this seem like the correct solution? Is it ok to drive the car in the meantime? (bearing in mind its my only car.) Is it likely to be my fault by driving the car to hard?

Also car only has 14k miles on the clock and all this happened the day after I had the rltc fitted and a super dragger exhaust & blitz bov & air induction.

Yes, now I remember this thread. I replied that you should have the problem diagnosed *first* before deciding on the best course of action.

Your car has only 14k miles on the clock, in which case turbo failure would be mighty *unusual* to say the least.

You say all this happened the day after you had the RLTC fitted, together with a Super Drager Exhaust and a Blitz BOV and induction kit.

Who fitted the above components, may I ask?

Yours,

J

Quote: from Registered Nutter on 9:10 am on Oct. 16, 2001[br].

also so i know when i have had it fixed how often to you guys drive your cars hard

At every opportunity ........................... doesn't everyone??? :biggrin:

The Soops very reliable ......... sounds like a case of "shit happens" ,to me