The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I keep finding scratches on my supe

Guest chiefvinso

Guest chiefvinso

I have had this car for about a month now and use it as a daily driver. This morning I have found in a hotel car park that someone has left a scratch from the front wheel arch to the rear. Some parts are deep but it looks like it will rub out. I am constantly worried and have noticed every small minute scratch since I have had the car. Iexpect the odd stone chips or little blemishes but not people purposely making a mess of it.

I now just feel like selling, as I dont think there will be much paint left!! I'm so pissed off today. I spend all my savings on the car that I have wanted since I can remember. How do others deal with their pride and joy as a daily drive?

Can we set up a supra physciatrist??? :eyebrows:

It's a sad fact of life.

My rules are generally:

Park selfishly, take up two spaces etc.

Always make sure there's lots of room around your car.

Park near cameras.

Don't take the car to dodgy places.

Learn to live with the fact that scratches will happen but can be hidden or fixed, that's what coloured polishes and body shops are for.

Guest chiefvinso
It's a sad fact of life.

My rules are generally:

Park selfishly, take up two spaces etc.

Always make sure there's lots of room around your car.

Park near cameras.

Don't take the car to dodgy places.

Learn to live with the fact that scratches will happen but can be hidden or fixed, that's what coloured polishes and body shops are for.

Thats what I do, maybe as time goes on I will become more comfortable. I take two spaces when I park due to the fact that one space leaves hardly any room either side so its an invitation for others doors, but doesnt taking up two spaces piss people off and make your car a target? I have tried my best but this scratch is the worse so far.

Looks like I will be colour polishing this week.

Welcome to my world dude, I hate thinking about this, I leave mine at train station car park all day so always very worried......I have to drive though so I just grin and bear it, I agree with rogue though, park selectivly.....try and park next to other expensive cars BMW, Porsch's etc and try to park out of veiw if you can

i dont take 2 spaces because i wouldnt want someone to kick it thinking i was arrogant thinking that i deserve 2 spaces. However where poss i park in disabled or mother and child. Failing that, i try to park inbetween 2 nice cars. Every stone chip etc used to get me really down. However in a few years i know i will respray so i just touch them up and carry on. i will also say, i have not had any long scratches and if i did get one i would be heart broken so im sorry to hear that you have got one.

However where poss i park in disabled or mother and child. Failing that, i try to park inbetween 2 nice cars.

That's worse. Someone is much more likely to get annoyed by that.

I'll only take two spaces on a car park where there's enough room anyway and generally further away so I have to walk a little more.

End spaces of course are a favorite.

Parking Psychology.

Guest chiefvinso
Welcome to my world dude, I hate thinking about this, I leave mine at train station car park all day so always very worried......I have to drive though so I just grin and bear it, I agree with rogue though, park selectivly.....try and park next to other expensive cars BMW, Porsch's etc and try to park out of veiw if you can

I have been trying my best, it just makes you feel what is the point in having a nice car if its going to get abused. Well at least it gives me a good reason for the grey hairs - its not age related, honestly!!

Guest chiefvinso

Leaving it at a train station must be pretty bad for your health - they are notorious for vandalism and theft, well the ones in wales are - they even tried to steal my astra once, must have disturbed them cos they are so easy to get into.

It's not the fact that a supra is a cool car that makes chavs scratch them, I see shit cars scratched all the time too. Mine got done in leafy Staines, meanwhile in the crime-ridden ghetto (according to my insurance premiums) of W10 where I live now I have had no problems.

I know how you guys feel, I'd love to drive my supe to work more often but it would mean parking over by the park over the road when the works carpark is full (nearly always is). There was a spate of keyed cars there a while back which although hasn't happened lately has put me off so much that even now I don't take it :(

As someone said though, if you take that attitude that it will get the occasional chip/scratch and when it gets bad enough then that justifies some paintwork then it's not quite so bad. Coloured polishes can work wonders too :)

I have a few stone chips on the front, I'm just living with it at the moment and when it gets bad enough I'll get the front blown over.

Would be pretty p1ssed at a new long scratch though - I feel for you! Don't give up though! It could (and does) happen to any car, including ones that are 10 times the cost...

With a Supra you kind of learn where to park. My other half is always going to me "what about that one? There. LOOK. Why you driving past?". Usually she has spotted a gap between two sheds so I'll drive around until I'm happy.

Once parked in the middle of a car park. No cars within 20 metres. Come back to car to find only one other car has turned up and it's parked next to mine. WTF?

Parking at work is nice if I can park next to one of the walkways. I edge right up and leave plenty of room on the other side. Lots of sheds here though. Law of averages suggests I'll end up next to one eventually.

I've noticed the car park thing too. Park in the emptiest bit of the carpark, come back and it's got another car next to it, wtf are they trying to keep your car company? lol

Good idea not to park near sheds though. some people just don't give a damn! Worst thing is "bump parking", that really hacks me off, luckily no ones done that to me, see it done to others though...

Guest chiefvinso

Sorry for my lack of knowledge Chilli, but what is bump parking? Is it when someone uses your bumper as a guide to their parallel park?

Guest mentalfx
Sorry for my lack of knowledge Chilli, but what is bump parking? Is it when someone uses your bumper as a guide to their parallel park?

It's when someone parks into your car and you take out your stop lock and give them a bump over the head.

My old FTO got parked into and denting in the near side wing. It also got keyed on both sides. Parked it in sidcup station car park for a few hours and it had the side window broken, the stereo stolen and sub. They also broke the boot lock even though it was openable from the inside like the supra.

Makes me wanna camp out down the station with a cross bow SAS style. Oh what a fantasy.

Guest chiefvinso
It's when someone parks into your car and you take out your stop lock and give them a bump over the head.

My old FTO got parked into and denting in the near side wing. It also got keyed on both sides. Parked it in sidcup station car park for a few hours and it had the side window broken, the stereo stolen and sub. They also broke the boot lock even though it was openable from the inside like the supra.

Makes me wanna camp out down the station with a cross bow SAS style. Oh what a fantasy.

I pressume you went through the insurance for that. In a way I should count myself lucky as your experience is much worse.

Guest chiefvinso
F*ck! That drives me nuts too. I do a walkaround everytime I return to the car. Best bet as everybody says is park as far away as possible where there are lots of spots. I need the exercise anyway.

I do and have parked away as best as possible, no one should pass my car where I have parked it so I am just wondering that taking up two spaces has cheesed someone off (even though there are lots of other spaces). I always park away from people, but as others have said people park next to you. I suppose its something that I am going to have to put up with as I cant be more vigilant than I am now.

sorry by bump parking I mean when someone can't be arsed (or can't drive) and so move until they touch or "bump" your car before stopping - seen it done to a car parked in a line on the side of the road... nasty :( In fact the person did it to the car in front and the one behind :(

Guest chiefvinso

I thought that it was that, just wanted to clarify. While in Chicago I witnessed it all the time and in most of the other cities/places in america, it seemed the norm out there - didnt think it was done much here though.

Guest Head-worx

And you think lot have it bad with parking.......

.......i have to park her in spaces that are shorter than the car.........

.......i have tanks, heavy armoured vehicles, MoD vehicles whizzing past all day......

I worry like hell that i'm gonna go home and my car'll be squished.......

......I think i need councelling :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: