The mkiv Supra Owners Club

fuel, who can tell the difference????

michael parker

Not sure if it's just me, but when i read about these little discussions of optimax being better/ultimate being better, or sul from supermarkets being better....... i can honestly say i cannot tell the difference between them all.

I'm not wanting to start a :gayfight: over which is better, i just wanted to know who CAN actually tell the difference and how???? Could you tell if someone was to fill your car up and give it back to you without telling you what they put in?

I've also put in 95ron probably twice in the 6 1/2 months i've owned it and even though it was just a small amount to get me by and i didn't really go over about 3000 rpm, i still didn't notice any difference??? :shrug:

I felt a difference when using ultimate compared to optimax. It was probably more in my mind (as most things are :( ) but the car felt less responsive to me.

could it have been a colder day ? saying that, again i don't feel any difference then either - although the boost does go dangerously high.

Is this the issue anyway? In the case of japs at least they're mapped for 100 RON aren't they? So we need the highest RON we can get - we need to have solid proof that they actually are 97/98/99 RON when we buy them, not whether they actually 'feel' any better?

Is this the issue anyway? In the case of japs at least they're mapped for 100 RON aren't they? So we need the highest RON we can get - we need to have solid proof that they actually are 97/98/99 RON when we buy them, not whether they actually 'feel' any better?

yep in an ideal world I would be buying 100 ron if it was available just because i've heard that anything less will cause long term damage (i have no experience or proof of this and purely going on what i've read, mainly from this forum), i was just stating my own opinion that i personally can't "feel" any difference between the different types.

out of interest who has actually damaged their engine by using our petrol. surely with th increasing number of used Jap car flooding the english market tere would eventually be a need for 100 ron if it was so damaging not to?

You guys are always on about 98 ron being the only fuel to be used in your soops.

I would agree with 98 in a highly modded soop that is over boosting but for your standard or near standard (standard boost) car I would go with the Toyota spec which is 93ron on Jspec cars. You will find this stated on the Spec sticker stuck on the underside of the bonnet. We only have Jspecs in AU.

My $00.02 worth

Steve

You guys are always on about 98 ron being the only fuel to be used in your soops.

I would agree with 98 in a highly modded soop that is over boosting but for your standard or near standard (standard boost) car I would go with the Toyota spec which is 93ron on Jspec cars. You will find this stated on the Spec sticker stuck on the underside of the bonnet. We only have Jspecs in AU.

My $00.02 worth

Steve

Think that is 93 MON (which is ~ 100 RON)