The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra now off the road for winter

AJI

My Supra ran out of Tax at the end of September and as a result it is now in winter storage.

I only tax it for 6months per year as I don't drive it in the winter months. My chrome alloys, suspension arms, body work etc. don't like the road salt.

Coated the under side with a load of 'anit-rust moisture seal' to keep the badness out and put the old stock wheels back on and also put it under cover.

Wish I had the money to run it all year round and not worry about the salt damage but as I also have a 250bhp GT4 I'm not too bothered ;-)

Any of you guys put yours away for winter yet ? or am I the first?

Crikey! Even the Kitcar gets Taxed all year. Don't want to miss those infrequent beautiful clear sky days that come along.

I guess your Supra is the difference between a cherished classic and a daily driver.

How many other people put their Supra to bed for the winter?

My Supra ran out of Tax at the end of September and as a result it is now in winter storage.

I only tax it for 6months per year as I don't drive it in the winter months. My chrome alloys, suspension arms, body work etc. don't like the road salt.

Coated the under side with a load of 'anit-rust moisture seal' to keep the badness out and put the old stock wheels back on and also put it under cover.

Wish I had the money to run it all year round and not worry about the salt damage but as I also have a 250bhp GT4 I'm not too bothered ;-)

Any of you guys put yours away for winter yet ? or am I the first?

I wish i could convert the supra to 4 wheel drive for the winter, i scares me silly.

I would tuck it up for the winter if

A) i had a garage

B) i had a second car

so basically i'm stuffed

Fortunately for me I have a garage and the use of a Micra and a Yaris for the daily grind so I always keep the Supe garaged with a car cover and left on trickle charge. It just gets used a lot less during winter with all the bad weather and salt on the roads.

i see you are a very carefull owner :)

i presume you declare it sorn? is it hard to get it back on the road after being sorn, i.e you dont need to do some extra MOT tests etc?

Ray

If your MOT is still current then there is no need to retest, just apply for a new tax disc.

If only people could learn to drive in the ice and snow then there wouldn't be the need to waste millions of pounds on chucking salt on the roads.... which not only damages vehicles, it does massive damage to the environment.

People in the likes of Sweeden and Norway seem to be able to drive in the snow.... but in the UK people sue the Highways Agency because its somehow their fault when the temperature goes below zero. Well to be honest it is classed as their fault these days if salt is not put down when a road freezes.

It's my only car :shrug: No garaging for it, and after 4 winters it's still OK, the usual surface rust on suspension components and that's it. But then it's not a daily driver for commuting...

Can't wait to torture the RLTC with snow and ice :whip:

-Ian

then the salt on a DRY day has a mind of its own and turns into a gray paste which NEVER drys out making the road slippery in the DRY............. therefore Dry + salt + cold = wet paste. MMMMMMMMM safey.... is not our strong point.

under tarmac heating is the way forward.

tt steve.

I would tuck it up for the winter if

A) i had a garage

B) i had a second car

I have a gas-guzzling BMW 540i as a second car that get's driven daily and a garage. The supra still gets driven 4-5 days a week, but the wife and I try not to drive it if it's ugly out, unless we can't carpool. Bottom line, cars are meant to be driven, but I don't want the nasty weather to ruin my baby and I can't stand to wash it 3 times a week. Thank god for a garage and hot distilled water car wash booths here in Germany and the fact that they don't like f*cking with the environment. I think they put sand out instead of salt, not that it's any better on the paint. Don't remember as I was drunk most of last winter. I definitely envy anybody that can take off the bling wheels, undercoat, trickle the battery, and cover their most charished posession during incliment weather.

• 12 years later...

I've decided for the first time in 20 years of ownership to put the Supra on SORN for 6 Winter months of the year, starting the end of this month. I'll start it every month and let it get up to temperature and just run out of the garage and then back into the dehumidified garage. I'll leave the battery on trickle charge and probably do little more than polish it a few times before it gets taxed again next April ready to get its annual garage visit for a service check over and MOT. It'll be strange having a car I know I cannot drive but fortunately there are a few others here that I can.

From a car I would do 12,000 miles a year in once its now struggling to do as much as a mile a day so road tax really has become an optional expenditure.