The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Club /forum ettiquette question

Ewen

Get him to PM a mod. Unless we suspect something fishy we will say for them to post in the supra chat forum with a title of which mod authorised it. Then when it's spotted a mod will move it into the correct section and rename it.

Does that not defeat the whole object of only allowing paid up Members to post in the Classifieds section, though?

OOOH contaversial.....my friends not fussed either way, it was me that suggested that he put it up for sale on the site....Supra club members have first dibs then. But as I say, he dont want to upset anyone by getting in thru the back door, ooer missus.

If it helps, Ive know the guy for years and it is 100% private, personal sale.

S'alright, Ewen. I wasn't having a pop at your particular request. :)

I'm just finding it difficult to understand exactly what the rules are for the Classifieds section. Mawby seems to be saying that there can be exceptions to people not being paid up members but who are allowed to advertise in the Classifieds.

Or have I got that wrong?

Does that not defeat the whole object of only allowing paid up Members to post in the Classifieds section' date=' though?[/quote']How? Would you rather all paid up members had to get moderator permission first?

Most people who want to sell shite will normally register, go to post in the classifieds forum (having not actually read the registration rules which say they can't), realise they can't, and will either leave or post it somewhere else which means it is instantly spotted and scrutinised by you lot. People who are genuine and have something that the members would probably be interested in almost always contact a mod, post up asking for help, or already know one of you guys and ask you for help. These people are then authorised to create threads destined for the classified section based upon what they have to sell and how they've approached the subject in the first place.

The rules are there so everyone knows what to expect, and the mods are there to enforce them, but the mods also have the authority to make exceptions to the rule if deemed in the clubs interest.

You seem to have been trying to pick holes in the club rules a lot recently regarding classifieds. Do you have a problem with them or suggestions for any improvments?

You seem to have been trying to pick holes in the club rules a lot recently regarding classifieds. Do you have a problem with them or suggestions for any improvments?

Heh, thats because he's a Hitler like classifieds mod on another board. :scare:

Or have I got that wrong?
That is correct. Are you suggesting us mods should not create exceptions to the rules? We've gone through this idea before, and I'd hate to be apart of any club which is run 100% to rule. How frustrating would that be? Every post with a swear word - deleted. All oversized avatars - removed. Questioning a moderators decision = banned. These are just the first 3 exceptions to the rules I could think of that mods have allowed. You need to allow us some power to override the rules where we see fit or else things just get stupid.

Mawby,

I'm sorry you think that I'm looking to 'pick holes' in the forum rules as that is not the case at all. I'm just trying to understand why some people are seemingly allowed to advertise an item or a car when they're not paid up members.

Surely that is unfair to people who do pay their subs?

As you will know from this thread, I did indeed offer some suggestions to altering the Classifieds section.

You seem to be a little upset with my question, so I apologise again to you.

I still do not see how it is unfair. Us mods aren't stupid enough to allow the same newbie to keep creating threads in the classifieds forum via this method. It is for one offs, where we have decided to create an exception to the rule to allow what we think will be a benefit to club members. I think you are over estimating the amount this happens. This thread was started by a club member asking what his friend should do. Nine times out of ten members just post up on their behalf. The rules don't actually state one way or the other whether this is allowed, but I see no problem with it. The case of total newbies (who can not use any club member as a reference for them) being allowed to create threads in the classified forum is extremely rare.

Example 1:

I've got a car to sell which has a value of 9k but I don't want to pay my £10 because I'm tight and I know that there's a possibility that if I make a one off request I'll get my advertising for free.

My request is approved and I sell the car for 9k to a 'lurker' who isn't a member. I'd be the only one who got any benefit out of that - 9k in my pocket with absolutely nothing to the club.

Example 2:

I've still got a car to sell, but I realise that I've got to be a paid up member to advertise so I pay my £10. I'm not particularly into forums so I won't be posting much but the £10 is money well spent for advertising on here and they are the rules as far as I know, so it's is fair enough.

I then discover that the person in Example 1 is advertising a similar spec car to mine at a comparable price, but because they chose to contact a moderator first they've gained their advertising for free. I would probably feel that is a little unfair.

Now, I know you'll say they're far fetched examples, but look past that and at the principle instead. It surely cannot be equitable that one person can advertise for free, whilst the other pays for the privilege?

Non-issue alert :)

Who's gonna pay £10 to join a club for owners of the car they are trying to sell?! No one. If you aren't particularly into forums you won't know if they are a good place to advertise or not, and you won't be posting *at all* because you won't have the car once it's sold!

We used to get all sorts of idiots sign up, spam some crap everywhere and never be heard from again, and now we don't. Big things like cars or wheels being sold on here can be of high benefit to existing members so having vetted and approved adverts sounds like a result to me.

-Ian

Ian,

They might pay if they consider it would be lead to a sale. That is, after all, the whole point of advertising. :)

The point about not being into forums was not meant from the perspective of whether they are good places to advertise or not, rather that they may have lives outside of the cyber world (sounds unlikely, but I have heard of such people) and would therefore not be regular posters, but still may wish to contribute, for example, some technical knowledge in the future.

I appreciate the point about potential benefits to existing members, but that still doesn't alter the fact that some people get free advertising whilst others have to pay for it.

By the way, I hope I haven't upset you as I may be needing your skills with the Emanage at some time in the future. :D

I'm not upset, I rarely get upset :D

I think the current flexible approach means nice cars get offered to people who have joined up as they want a Supra, and yet idiots trying flog eco-tek valves and other such tripe can sod off ;) I'm in favour of it, you may not be, such is life :shrug: we are all different.

-Ian

Ian,

Definitely one of those 'agree to disagree' moments. ;)

One more hypothetical question if I may, though? Say for arguments sake my two situations outlined above did occur, would Seller No.2 be entitled to their money back? Or would Seller No.1 be required to pay to advertise?

Contrary to what my sister may think ;), I do favour discretion and the system would appear to operate well at present. In fact, it probably will do right up until someone who has paid to advertise notices that someone else hasn't and decides to pursue it further.

As I apparently don't make any suggestions, would it be in order for me to suggest some way (and assuming that this doesn't happen already) in which to advise new users that if they're not paid up members and consider they have something of community benefit to sell, that they can contact a moderator first?

Anyway, thanks for your polite replies. Much appreciated. :)