The mkiv Supra Owners Club

End Of a Dream

pab_s

Just a quick reminder greasy roads are dangerous especially if your an inexperienced supra driver. I have managed to write my supra off today after four and a half months of ownership. I am thankfull that no one else was injured.

It happened on a road I was very familiar with a road I had driven on well over a 1000 times. Just minutes from my parental home.

Need to take stock of what to do.

Thanks to the owner of the UK silver manual that passed me minutes after the accident I thought about putting out a shout to you on spotted but not really appropriate.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a shame :-(

That's the second new owner to do this in the last month or so - the white tt being the other.

I also did the same - one month after getting the car, but it wasn't terminal fortunately, just very expensive.

I hope you come out okay in the end with regard to payout and possibility of insuring another.

I personally love it when it's wet. Can slide out of corners easily without much power. I only practice from a standstill though, 90-degree RH turns.

Sorry to hear this mate :(

Been there, done that, but thankfully the damage was minor.

Unfortunately we're likely to see some more posts like this in the next few months, same thing happens every year when the roads get slippery and the temps go down.

Gutted for you mate. Glad you're okay. Fact is, from the ones I've seen in breakers yards, if I was ever to have a serious "off", I'd be glad it was in a Supe...they're pretty robust. Still, on the bright side, you might be able to buy it back from the insurance company after their payoff, sell off loads of bits to us lot, further increasing your dosh, then with the experience you've gained from your first Supe, be able to choose the perfect spec for you're next one one!

what happened mate? back end go or was it tyre related etc? :(

TBH it is a bit hazy as to what happened due to the impact. I had just come round a left hand bend into a much gentler right hand bend that leads into a straight. Coming out of the gentle right hand bend into the straight I accelerated (not to kickdown) and the back end stepped out it left the car pointing about 20degrees into oncoming traffic. The fast correction needed to avoid oncoming traffic led to me spinning the car. No problems with the tyres pirrelli p6000 about half way through their life.

I just hope through me swallowing my pride it can serve as a timely reminder to all that the car is not to be underestimated. I was aware that I am no race driver and thankfully the loss of control happened at about 55mph in a national speed limit. I hit a wall and a telegraph pole and consider myself lucky. Police were quickly in attendace and no action taken.

I loved my supra and had wanted to own one from their launch. My split with my ex had left me in a position to buy a UK car. I spent hours polishing her last weekend. She was in amazing condition and was due to go into Chris Wilson for a full service also the suspension was ready to be customeised by the guru himself. If your reading Chris I appologise for any incovenience caused.

Just be carefull and enjoy them. Other than that dont go for a hair cut whilst its raining!!

Safe motoring everyone

gutted for you pabs!

Wonder if the accident could have been averted with RLTC, I'd seriously reccomend it to anyone reading this thats not 100% confident in a supe.

I am sure it would have. I hated the toyota traction control.

Reading this, and I realise how lucky I am.

Today in the rain, I set off onto a roundabout from a standing start, (probably a little over enthusiastic if I'm honest) back end stepped out, same as you about 20 degrees towards the kerb. big correction and found myself on the wrong side of the road :scare:. Fortunately no traffic, and managed to get myself back on the right side of the road.

There but for the grace of God go I.

Sorry to hear about your incident - hope the damage is not as bad as it sounds

Wonder if the accident could have been averted with RLTC, I'd seriously reccomend it to anyone reading this thats not 100% confident in a supe.

Think I'm gonna have me a look into RLTC :idea:

Mike

Sorry to hear this dude! yep, i was unfortunate to write my supra off last weekend after 3 weeks of ownership. I can imagine exactly how you feel! After a week of decisions and advice from these guys, im paying out to get it repaired.

What the damage to yours mate?

Its a mess the back of the car hit a telegraph pole and dry stone wall/gates (Genuine appologies to the owner of the property just didnt want to hit oncoming traffic). Roof line is creased all windows have gone apart from door windows. Air bags have deployed, drivers side seat broke. It sits on the chasis now not its wheels. Only fit for braking of that I am sure. I have some pictures on my mobile if I can get them onto my home pc I will submit them.