The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Split rim reconditioning query

Parksy

About to buy a Supra. It has some Rays splitrims on it. The inner part of the wheel is chrome and on all the wheels is in perfect condition.

The outer (alloy part) of the wheel is alloy, and a couple of them have been curbed (rims only)

Is it easy enough to repair the outside alloy section? As easy as a one piece alloy or are they more complicated/expensive to have repaired?

Any help appreciated.

Depends where you go.

Most places will split the rims down to their 3 parts,

repair the damage and re-fit. They'll probably charge

you for new rivets too, as the old ones will have to be drilled

out.

Maybe see if they can mask off the inner wheel while

the outer part is refurbed. That way you save money.

I can't recommend anyone, as the bloke I took mine to

in Ross-On-Wye was a waste of time. I'm currently looking

to have two of my 19's done.

Good luck,

Gaz

Cheers for the help :)

Anyone got a number/location or web address for envy by chance?

:offtopic: by me... Jurgen I noticed your from Newcastle... can you suggest somewhere local for any work I need carried out on my new toy? :) like servicing, repairs etc?

Good news!! Jarrow only 10 minutes up the road from me :)

£100 a wheel for splitrims though :faint: think the car needs at least two of em done, and new centre caps.. could turn into an expensive item to sort, especially considering I don't reallt like the multispoke rays splitrims :(

Ah well will have to do until a nice set of 18 or 19s can be afforded :)

Cheers for the help.

Not that simple from what I've read by doing searches on here by the looks of it.

Looks as though the old rivets are no good once there out and you need replacements.

Wish the car I was getting didn't have split rims to be honest as normal alloys are a hell of a lot cheaper to have repaired :(

• 2 weeks later...

What do you mean "rivets"? All the split rims I've seen have been bolted together.

If they are three-peice, you will need to apply sealant to the mating faces. If they are two piece then its just a matter of unbolting the spokes from the rim and getting them refurbed separately.

Looks as though the old rivets are no good once there out and you need replacements.
They'll be bolted together. The advantage of split-rims is you can replace the rim bits if you kerb them.

There's a place near Milton Keynes that does split-rims - Pristine Wheels I think they are called.

It's an expensive thing to do!