The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi all, New guy here :)

GazzaGSi

Morning everyone, how you all doing?

Ive been browsing the forums for some months now but just decided to sign up as in the coming weeks I will be buying my first Supra.

At the minute I drive a MK3 Astra GSi which for the interested can be seen here:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

I have been to look at acouple of Supras in my local area but do not mind travelling the distance to find the right one, I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers and things to look at for when viewing one as my knowledge on the vehicle is still fairly limited.

I am after a J-spec 6 speed manual or a UK-spec 6 speed manual. Another thing that concerns me is, what is classed as 'high mileage' on a supra? As usually i try to buy a low mileage car but for a UK-spec one this is proving difficult.

Also, when buying a J-Spec Supra, is there anything else I should look at compared to buying a UK one?

Well, just thought id introduce myself and say hello. Hopefully you lot will be able to guide me in the right direction to finding my car :)

Thanks,

Gaz

Hi Gazza,

Welcome to the club.

Theres loads of information about different models and specs available in the FAQ section, saves us typing it all out again.

Re the mileage issue, these cars are very very reliable. Theres cars on here done over 300k without engine engine or turbo replacements.

Many topics about this before, try a search :)

Regards,

Gaz.

Hi Gazza,

Welcome to the club.

Theres loads of information about different models and specs available in the FAQ section, saves us typing it all out again.

Re the mileage issue, these cars are very very reliable. Theres cars on here done over 300k without engine engine or turbo replacements.

Many topics about this before, try a search :)

Regards,

Gaz.

Thanks for that, and sorry for not using the search buton/using the faqs first :sorry:

Cheers :)

Low mile UK 6 TT are a rare find, you will get good 6TT import with little or no salt damage. JDM cars have harder suspenstion as standard, Uk style brakes werean oprtion on earlier JDM car but standard later.

Thanks for that, v.useful and something else to consider when buying :)

Hell and welcome

Do not be scared by higher mileage and dont be put off by j-specs which are just as good as the UK specs.

I used to be cautious of mileage and so held out for a 60k example. My Supra seems to get better with age and literally soaks up the miles. You wont have anything really to worry about with a 100k example as long as its been regularly serviced

welcome to the forum m8, you have come to the right place! most peeps on here is very helpful an knowledgeable on the supra! :yes:

if ur after a low mileage uk tt 6, be prepared for a LONNGGGG wait (i waited well over a yr for mine an even then i had to be lay deposit the day after it was advertised so it didn't get gobbled up!, they are very rare cars and usually come with a hefty price tag!, if insurance price isnt too much of a problem for you i would go for the j-spec as they are easier to source.

make sure to post up pics when you have got it.

Good luck with the find (does it have to be manual uktt, as there are a couple of auto knocking about)

Do not be scared by higher mileage and dont be put off by j-specs which are just as good as the UK specs.

From an engine point of view I would agree, if it has been well maintained with regular services then it should be fine. I would worry though about getting a high milage car running original suspension components, as these will most probably need replacing, which is a costly job.

Hi all thanks for the friendly replies.

I would prefer a manual as i have been told that an auto takes out some on the 'driving experience' but having never driven a auto I can not comment, maybe people on here who have autos could enlighten me?

Insurance isnt a problem to be honest, paid high premiums since i was first driving. A UK spec supra is cheaper to insure than a jap one but are a little cheaper to buy so they kind of cancel each other out.

Jurgen-Jm-Imports, thankyou for the web address, had a good browse. Where abouts are you based?

Thanks again for the friendly welcome :)