The mkiv Supra Owners Club

single turbo or hks twins??

akallis

It looks like i am gonna be keeping my car so i am now thinking about engine mods etc.

What would you recommend as the best way to go , a nice single turbo setup or something like the hks twin turbo setup? Whats better value for money better on the engine and better performance wise?

thanks for your help in advance

I had the same problem and decided to go for the single turbo conversion. Not sure why really. I don't know who there is down your way but I had my engine designed and built by GBH Motorsport in Colchester Essex and highly recommend them. Bit far for you maybe but everywhere else I have had work on my car they've :swear: something up. I was at the point of selling it :flame: I was going out of my mind but thought better of it and heard about GBH. They really know their stuff. If your interested I'll give you his details. :thumbs:

Yeah but in reality its all much of a muchness - do you really think hes gonna worry about that? Didnt stop that guy in the US outrunning Hayabusas.

No idea, just pointing out another difference, not saying it's a big deciding factor in the choice. Must be at least 20kg+ difference in kits/ancillaries though and every little helps when it's all added up.

Hks twin 2835's IMHO dont get into proper boost until 4800-5200 rpm's depending on how its tuned and what other mods are in place. I've been out in a 2835 auto with cams fueling and basic electronics on low boost (1.25 bar) and TBH it seemed only marginly faster than my old hybrid setup if at all!

It diddnt really hit the power band until 5200 rpm's, leaving less than 2000 on song. A t61 on the other hand is going to start to pull 1400 rpm's earlier than that. With a really sorted setup and high boost I'm sure the 2835's are great but my experience led me to going single.

It looks like i am gonna be keeping my car so i am now thinking about engine mods etc.

What would you recommend as the best way to go , a nice single turbo setup or something like the hks twin turbo setup? Whats better value for money better on the engine and better performance wise?

thanks for your help in advance

IMO a single conversion is best unless you want over 800 bhp

its cheaper

lighter

better spool

and the main thing i think really.....more room for air flow to be brought into the turbo's enviroment

no air, then you may as well leave it alone

just my thoughts

also a T51 only around £1100 from nenegun.com :ecstatic:

That's a price for a turbo alone....which isn't really the full price of a system.

If you could get full HKS systems for under £3k you'd see more of them...but they are more like £4+k.

Reliability....hmmm...it's modified....more power = less reliability - how much less is a factor how much more power...sooo stick on any turbo you like and run it at a boost pressure to give 320bhp for maximum reliability.

Bobbeh, your right about the twin 2835 car i went out in not being well setup.It had all the bolt on parts you'd expect but quite clearly could'nt get on song. I had the oportunity of buying the turbo kit from that car and at the time it was the only true way of finding out what a kit like that would be like at low boost. I've no doubt a car like Christians is excellent and in a manual 2835's could be good but it left me doubts and so I went for a kit with a proven ability to get into positive boost earlier.

The single kit is cheaper to buy, takes up less space in the engine bay and should be easier to install.

Guest KARacing

First at all, how much HP or RWHP you are looking for? and what is your budget? Also, you will have to upgrade the fuel system if you want to run over 500HP.

I can sort this out as i had the same problem.

single single single single single single single single single single single.

Vortex single. Looks great, less money, less to go wrong, fantastic chaps, has full boost by about 3500.Even with standard 440 running low boost, its an amazing transformation. Destroy the new m3.

Any questions

Guest KARacing
What's 20kg to a 1550kg car? I think the weight argument is a very weak one, if we were talking about 500kg Caterhams, you may have a point.

Support :thumbs: