The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TRD Widebody: Shall I? Shan't I?

Jake

On a whim I bought a replica TRD wide body kit from eBay. It had only been listed a few mins before and had a 'Buy It Now' price which seemed good value, so I bought it. Like the sucker that I am.

....but now I've got it I realise it's crap. It looks like it'll be a right old game fitting it but hey, I've got nothing else to do at the moment.

My grey car needs a new wing anyway, and a front and rear bumper respray, and the bonnet could do with a blow over too.

So, I might have a bash at it. The rear wings look like a pain in the arse to fit but I've read Dudes thread on how to do it.

Does anyone know it the 'TRD' front wings are replacement ones or do they go on over the original ones? It's just that these ones I've got don't appear to have any bolt holes.

The whole kit is going to need loads of trimming and adjustment to make it fit but I'm not scared of a bit fibre glassing if necessary (and it will be necessary) but I'm trying get an idea of how soon it'll be before I give up and scrap the car. :p

Or maybe I should cut my losses, throw the kit away and just have the car resprayed as it is. :tempted:

Any thoughts?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd be too embarrassed to tell you

well

a few options...

1) PM me with the price....

2) Keep it to yourself and then not be able to gloat :sly:

Oh and the money you saved on the TRD kit can go towards some lurvlee wheels. I prefer the HRE 540R which just so happens to come in just the right width..... then we can all be.... :notworthy

you know I still havent fitted that carpet... was looking at it just today when I was at my grandparents house (it lives in their spare room!), could have fitted it today as I took the whole stereo out of my car as I dont listen to it.... watch the for sale section soon.....

Does anyone know it the 'TRD' front wings are replacement ones or do they go on over the original ones? It's just that these ones I've got don't appear to have any bolt holes.

AFAIK the wings were direct replacements as if you look through the side vents on a kit you can see the engine bay side bulkhead, which wouldnt be visible if you didnt take the other wing off. If there are no bolt holes, then I guess you have a fair bit of drilling to do to test fit it.. then off again and spray it off the car..... you are going to be busy

Man if you are a doctor you can afford for an idiot to do the work for you

Well yes we get paid okay, but we do bust our asses for it and the responsibility can be a little stressful, and then there's the med school debts (which dont disappear overnight) so you are 40 before you earn the real spondoolies and I am not that old yet, plus when I am that old I hope I dont go mad and start liking Aston Martins or something.

AFAIK the wings were direct replacements as if you look through the side vents on a kit you can see the engine bay side bulkhead, which wouldnt be visible if you didnt take the other wing off.
Yeah, that's what I thought.
If there are no bolt holes, then I guess you have a fair bit of drilling to do to test fit it.. then off again and spray it off the car..... you are going to be busy
It's going to be a right laugh, I can tell.

Hey dont diss astons

at least half the guys on here would have an aston given the choice. Responsibility is relative. You don't do your job right maybe a person or two might cack it. If I don't do my job right at least 4 people will bite the dust and thats just the aircrew, if my aircraft has passengers then they 2 will eat some nastyness usually resulting in painfull burning to death. Everyone regardless of their job at some point has someone elses life in their hands. Dont get me wrong I respect doctors they are after all body engineers as far as i am concerned.

:dir:

have been waiting to use that...... lol

Mate, do it..... TRD is the ultimate kit, I aspire to it, and so should everyone else... none of this Veilside t*ss. Its the right kit designed to compliment the car, designed by people who actually knew what they were doing and might have actually seen some wind tunnel development. Form and function - it would be like a woman with breast implants being able to produce more milk.... or something (sorry late night!)

Hey dont diss astons.

Sorry for Aston dissing... I would cream over a Vanquish or a DB9 as much as the next man.

Dont get me wrong I respect doctors they are after all body engineers as far as i am concerned.

Yeah thats true...physics defines how everything works when it comes down to it...

Hey you started the hijack you young upstart you lol.

Sorry

TRD kit looks cool but how long til every muppet has one, Veilside has become almost a joke now. I hate to say it but original supes are gonna be the money spinners in the future I reckon.

Well they would be muppets with taste... but yes as the price of supras drops I am sure that they will fall into the hands of people who will kill their souls... reminds me of that old VW advert where the Golf has been modded and its shedding a tear from the headlight....

TRD kit looks cool but how long til every muppet has one, Veilside has become almost a joke now. I hate to say it but original supes are gonna be the money spinners in the future I reckon.
Yeah. I've grown to hate my VeilSide bumper over time, almost as much as the Bomex bumper.

Can't see the TRD kit getting commonplace though