The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Think I cocked up

Daston

Hi guys

I think I have just been a class A prat

Just got a new tyre fitted to one of my new alloys and think I just got the profile wrong. They are standard UK 17" wheels Just got 255/45/17 fitted for the rear but I think a really needed was 255/40/17

Can someone please tell me it will fit fine I dont really want to have to get another one and feel like a bigger dick than I do now

255/40/18 tyres have a rolling radius of 317.90mm

255/45/18 have a rolling radius of 330.65mm

I'm currently running 285/35/18 tyres with no rubbing issues (stock bodywork). These have a rolling radius of 328.35 so I'm sure you'll be fine with 255/45/18 and a RR of 330.65

as long as the two on the same axle are the same size then it'll be okay.

your speedo will under-read slightly (they over-read anyway), and may handle a little differently (shouldn't be too noticable i don't think)...

but best of all you might have a nice drag look like i've got on my car!!

the idiot that had my car before me put 245/45x18s on the back when they should have been 255/40 or even 265/35s!!

:whip:

I read your post, Jake.

He's got 17's fitted not 18's.

Stock fitment (255/40/17) have an overall diameter of 636mm.

Dastons new tyres are 255/45/17, giving an overall diameter of 661mm.

This represents a difference in overall diameter of about 4%.

You shouldn't really exceed 2.5% difference from stock anyway, but to do it on separate axels is probably a worse idea.

May not actually come to any harm, but I'd ask if they'll take the tyre back as he'll be buying the rest of them in the future.

why are the rears 255/40/17 and the fronts 235/45/17 dosnt that mean the front wheels are bigger than than the rear?
The wheels are both 17" diameter.

The stock front tyres are slightly taller than the rears because 45% of 235 is more than 40% of 255

Some NAs do not have Tracion Control fitted

I think what is being said is that to be 100% on the right side of safety then yes swap the tyre for the original manufacturers size. Now if you listen to what Jake is telling you you'll realise that if your tyre place decides to turn away your business (ie not swap your tyre) the tyre you have if you match it on the back will be safe enough as he has tyres fitted that are a similar rolling radius with no problems. If it worries you that much and you havent got the nouse to go back to the garage with nothing to lose then sell the damn tyre on ebay or whatever and get the correct one.