The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Got a quote to repair my written off front end!

whitesupratt

I finally had my supra picked up and looked over properly after writing off the front end!, and the 'rough' quote iv been given with parts is £4000. im still on the hunt for anything second hand or cheap. some people have got in contact already.

A fair bit bent underneath apparenty!

Assuming I go with repairing! I really have no idea what else to do, as im paying for car over 3 years and if i claim, ill never get a quote to carry on insuring a supra again or enough money from write off to buy one. catch 22.

here is a pic for those who havnt seen it! :thumbdown

supra all mashed.JPG

I'm going to say something that you'll probably not want to hear, but I guarantee will save you money in the long run and make you happier....

Let them write the car off, and take the money.

You'll never make your money back, in fact you will make a massive loss. I've been there twice before, when I was a little bit younger than what you are. My life would be massively different now if I hadn't blown every penny I earnt on written off cars, that had no saleability when it came down to it.

Give yourself maybe two/three years sensible driving, and then you'll be financially much better prepared for a top car.

If I were you, and I was, I wouldn't listen to me either. I would be out there throwing good money after bad. But believe me, I wish I had done things a little different now.

Just a little advice. Take it or leave it. Either way best of luck :thumbs:

I have five years no claims that'll ill bugger up! I hear you, believe me I hear you, but I still have 3 years to pay the car off, which i wont get a snippet of if it's written off. so, either way, a lot of money to pay!!! And if i get the car written off, get the money and wait a few more years, ill have had a taster of owning a supra for 3 weeks, then not again for years. Supra is the car I really wanted and have been working towards since being able to drive, 5 years ago.

It's taking so many steps bakwards getting it written off, and still having to pay it off.

Here here. Thats exactly what I would advise as well. He didnt ask should he walk away from supes so I really think he will ignore that line of advice and proceed to ressurect the pheonix whatever the cost. So if he must the best he can do is resist the inclination to upgrade right now. Without wanting to cast aspersions upon anyones driving abilities but a major smack within a few weeks of your first supe suggests that perhaps its not a great idea to spend an even vaster sum of money putting better replacements on until the day you are 100% sure that you aren't going to repeat the error.

You wont be still paying it off if its written off as they will give you back what you insured/payed for it hence paying off they loan for it.

Guest KARacing

sorry to hear that, I will have my hood, front bumper and fender for sale pretty soon once I receive my trd kit. But I dont know if you will be interested since the parts are in HK

I know Jake, I know.

I was just trying to work out how much it's cost me though.

I had to take out loans to pay for all the things other than cars that I wanted, as I'd spent all my money on getting the bloody things put right. Then when I wanted to get a newer/better car, I had to take a loan, which then included the original loan. Before you know it, I had a £30K loan and a £10K car. Once that happens your fecked. I've had to put it all onto my mortgage to bring the nearly £600 a month loan payments down, but I'll end up having paid a massive amount in interest at the end of 25 years.

The way I think of it now is if I write it off, then that's it. I've had my chances of pissed them away. It'll be peugeot diesel all the way. :rolleyes:

you wont loose your no claims completely, it goes down to 2 or 3 years after an accident if you were on 5.

And if the accident just involved yourself then the claim value wont be too bad if you write it off.

But in all honesty looking at the pic, thats a propper write off mate (did they categorise it? i'd say its C at least), more trouble than its worth to try and fix, and chanses are it'd never be 100% right.

We at Envy just repaired one with similar damage if not worse and it drives just as it did before the accident. Getting the car four wheel laser aligned once the job was complete made a great deal of difference.

The secret is finding as many second hand parts as possible, as someone has already said the Toyota parts are expensive.

Looking at the picture it looks like it will be an engine out job and the car will definatly need Jigging.

Did I mention we have a trailor and are willing to collect work any where in the UK! :)

Kevin

Thanks for the thoughts, just to clear a few things up, at 22, i can handle a supr, im not quite sure what happened when i crashed. i have a rally licence, (completed in rear wheels drive cars). and have done all the relevant days etc on powersliding etc ( while ago just for fun). so im not quite sure why the car behaved to erraticly.

Its all good writing it off, but they wont give exactly what i insured it for will they...it'll be market value. At 22, losing 2 years from your no claims and having a write off, will make sure i cant insure nything decent for a while!!!! The thing that botheres me is waiting for a supra of own, having it briefly, then losing it all over again until i can insure again.

Its not actualy been assessed, that counts as a claim ,but a mate who does for a living was pretty adiment its written off.

It's a hard situation

I'm not doubting your driving skills at all mate. I couldn't even get my driving licence if I had to retake it let alone a rally one.

The market value of your car, seeing as it's only 3 weeks since you bought it, will be.... wait for it..... what you paid for it. Easily arguable to the insurance company. :thumbs:

I know exactly how you feel. I had my dream car for just 3 months and shunted it. Another 3 months I wrote it off. Got some cash, bought the car back. Spent a shed-load more on getting it fixed. 9 months later shunted it again. By then my insurance was sky-high. Obviously my driving skills didn't quite match my ability to fork out on fecked motors. However a couple of years of carefull driving and named driver insurance, and I was able to buy a good unmolested Supra. However I'm still carrying the weight of all that financial outlay. I must have spent over £6K on the heaps. Out of all that, I managed to come out of owning them with £650 in my pocket. However I had to buy another car, and still pay for the £5500 odd loan I still had, which meant a bigger loan....

Looking at the picture, it looks pretty bad. I don't doubt at all that Gaz or any decent bodywork shop will be able to repair it. It'll just cost big time. It'll cost you more than losing your NCB, that's for sure.

Guest gzaerojon

sorry mate.... i'd be gutted!

if you write it off would they give you a chance to buy it back?

if they do then you should make a fair bit back on parts if you break it

the 6 speed box would do an aero top manual conversion

Guest gzaerojon

just have a think for a few days, should seem clearer then...

2 years ncb loss might not be as bad as you think, you could always shop around after to bring the premium down.

you'll be supprised how much you can claw back if you break it

put the money aside then perhaps look for another one, i've seen supes go for silly money reciently

hope it all works out

If you paid for fully comprehensive insurance then you'd be mad not to use it for that amount of damage.

Argue against it being written off - get them to fix it, presumably you paid more than £4k for it.

Even if they do write it off you can take the money and get another Supe quickly.

Then, whether it's repaired or another Supe, enjoy driving it for the rest of the years insurance *that you have already paid for* and if you can't afford to renew the insurance at the end of the year, sell it and for the next year or two think fondly of that year you had driving the Supe.