The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1/4 Mile in an Auto

ellis

Probably a dumb, dumb question but here goes anyway! Off to Santa Pod on the 9th and may, just may have a crack at the 1/4 mile. Dumb question, how, in an auto, do you do a cracking start? Hold the accelerator and brake together? Just floor it? Handbrake? Whats the secret??! Easier in a manual obviously!

Guest KARacing
I've tried different techniques but for me the best starts are in normal Auto mode, TRAC off, and power braking. If you beat my 0-60 time (see Sig) in a stock or BPU car you'll be doing well.

Me too (in my brother's tt auto). so your car was BONE STOCK when you ran that 0-60 time??? If so, you are GOOD

Erm yeah right.... :rolleyes:

They are designed for it...but you dont want to dwell on it for too long. The stock TC allows you to powerbrake to about 2200rpm.

Sorry mate I disagree with you on that....Toyota would did not design the box to be ragged on the drag strip, its designed as road car not a dragster.....power braking puts significant wear on a number of components and IMO is worth avoiding

so power brake with TC on?

TC = Torque Converter not TRAC (Traction Control)

Mikey, baby yours all you like, but powerbraking is how Toyota got a 5.1 to 60 time for a stock TT Auto. If you don't want to do that to yours then that's fine but it's something all torque converters can do/cope with...

Mikey, baby yours all you like, but powerbraking is how Toyota got a 5.1 to 60 time for a stock TT Auto. If you don't want to do that to yours then that's fine but it's something all torque converters can do/cope with...

Your better off getting a high stall converter for lightning fast launches....this takes away some of the strain but is a bitch to drive with day to day

Now I dont want to sound like im lecturing you because im not!!!

but my veiws on reliability issues are very strong......its something a lot of supra owners take for granted nowadays......everyone is after more power and squeezing everything they possibly can out of stock components (turbos, transmission, brakes etc etc)

Now this is fine as long as you are prepared for the inevitable failure of these components which most people know.

IMO repeated runs whilst power braking over time and you put wear on components which ever way you look at it.....and I could gaurauntee my auto box would last longer that someone making repeated runs on the strip whilst power braking.......If you can provide me with hard evidence the box is designed to take this then I remain firm on my veiws :)

Your better off getting a high stall converter for lightning fast launches....this takes away some of the strain but is a bitch to drive with day to day

Now I dont want to sound like im lecturing you because im not!!!

but my veiws on reliability issues are very strong......its something a lot of supra owners take for granted nowadays......everyone is after more power and squeezing everything they possibly can out of stock components (turbos, transmission, brakes etc etc)

Now this is fine as long as you are prepared for the inevitable failure of these components which most people know.

IMO repeated runs whilst power braking over time and you put wear on components which ever way you look at it.....and I could gaurauntee my auto box would last longer that someone making repeated runs on the strip whilst power braking.......If you can provide me with hard evidence the box is designed to take this then I remain firm on my veiws :)

Well of course it adds stress to the TC...never said it wouldn't and that's why I said you don't want to be dwelling too long on the PB'ing. But, the stock TC is just the same as the Hi Stall's...just with a lower stall.

It's like saying don't slip the clutch on the manual cause you'll knacker it out faster...well of course you will. If anyone was serious about dragging I'd expect them to buy a hi-stall...but Holly, the Doran's Black MKIV, has had 2835's on a stock stall auto for years (till we finally convinced them to upgrade ;) ) and they would drag race their 600BHP Supra on a stock TC...and it would "suffer" powerbraking first.

I can't off the top of my head think of any definate mention of drag racing and powerbraking killing a stock TC....there has been a few TC's breaking in the past but certainly nothing on the scale to warrent worrying anyone. Car's break, shit happens and it can be expensive to fix...it's the owners choice as to how much stick he gives his tranmission...but the stall function is there on all TC's and it allows for power braking. Hell it's a lot safer than reving up in neutral and throwing it into drive!! :eek:

Hell Yeah power brake away! Just try to power brake for short durations in order to prevent frying the oil.

I had one of those rare quiet days atsanta pod many moons ago and clocked up nearly 20 runs down the strip, power braked all the time, the car was running for most of the day, pulled a 13.01 runn at 116 and drove home!

no probs. :thumbs: