The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel cut problem

Brian Jackett

I have recently installed Pete Betts Fuel Cut defender. Last Night on the motor way (first time since installing Second one First one did not work at all), AT full boost car started cutting out then all I could get was a very slight throttle as long as I kept it well under 0 boost and limped home.

This morning started car all running fine took it out for a spin, full boost did all as before.

Thought problem with new FCD so rewired loom back to how it was but problem still there.

Any ideas, has the FCD f&**d the ECU

help me

regards

Quote: from Brian Jackett on 10:15 am on Oct. 13, 2001[br]I have recently installed Pete Betts Fuel Cut defender. Last Night on the motor way (first time since installing Second one First one did not work at all), AT full boost car started cutting out then all I could get was a very slight throttle as long as I kept it well under 0 boost and limped home.

This morning started car all running fine took it out for a spin, full boost did all as before.

Thought problem with new FCD so rewired loom back to how it was but problem still there.

Any ideas, has the FCD f&**d the ECU

help me

regards

Not possible. More likely there's a dry (or intermittent) joint, so you're getting 'stuttering' on the signal.

Call Pete, talk to him and possibly arrange for him to look at it on his scope.

Quote: from Brian Jackett on 12:39 pm on Oct. 13, 2001[br]We think it is the Turbo Sensor Switch has anyone got one or are near me Longfield Kent (nr Dartford) that I could just try their one on my car, before I order one. Just incase that is not the problem.

I have got a spare Spoiler motor for free for anyone who can.

regards

I realise you're keen to get it sorted in a hurry and there are people on here in that neck of the woods, let's hope one wants to help.

Do you know how difficult it is to remove/refit one?

You would be surprised how easy it is to obtain used parts for J-spec Supras. I use http://www.Findapart.co.uk and I usually get a call within 2 days.

If you've not sorted a diagnostic replacement part by next Friday, I am in Kingswood all week and *without causing damage*, I could probably arrange to meet and you could try mine.

Quote: from Brian Jackett on 3:35 pm on Oct. 13, 2001[br]Thanks,

Takes 5 mins to fit one, only need a 10mm spanner and flat head screwdriver. Mine only has a problem after its warm, takes about 3 miles before the problem starts.

Starting to get to know my Supra well in trying to diagnose the problem.

regards

Well, if no one else has volunteered to help by Friday, I will be finishing early then and we could arrange to meet up.

I'd still try Findapart in the meantime too.

Abbey Toyota in Redhill are ace at producing J-spec parts too, give them a ring and price up a nice shiny new one.

Once I know that that is the problem by trying someone else's I will buy a gold plated one. I just do not want to waste money and find it was not the problem.

Chris wilson is tracking the part as well as it may be  something that is used for Turbo Mr2's and Rx7's.

Kind of you to offer to help, I cannot really travel far as once the problem starts I have to cruel home at not much more then idle throttle and with a number plate - B1YEE it is very embarrising. So you may need to come to me or meet at Brandshatch.

But there is a front spoiler motor for you if you can. Thats assuming you would want that. I suspose you could sell it though.

regards

Brian

B1YEE

Quote: from Brian Jackett on 3:52 pm on Oct. 13, 2001[br]Once I know that that is the problem by trying someone else's I will buy a gold plated one. I just do not want to waste money and find it was not the problem.

Chris wilson is tracking the part as well as it may be  something that is used for Turbo Mr2's and Rx7's.

Kind of you to offer to help, I cannot really travel far as once the problem starts I have to cruel home at not much more then idle throttle and with a number plate - B1YEE it is very embarrising. So you may need to come to me or meet at Brandshatch.

But there is a front spoiler motor for you if you can. Thats assuming you would want that. I suspose you could sell it though.

regards

Brian

B1YEE

Thanks, I have a spare motor too, so that's not an issue.

It's not *that* far to Dartford from Kingswood. I know this as I forgot to come off the M25 at J8 and carried on round, 2 weeks ago. Double DOH!

Quote: from Paul Booth on 4:05 pm on Oct. 13, 2001[br]
Quote: from Brian Jackett on 3:52 pm on Oct. 13, 2001[br]Once I know that that is the problem by trying someone else's I will buy a gold plated one. I just do not want to waste money and find it was not the problem.

regards

Brian

B1YEE

It's not *that* far to Dartford from Kingswood. I know this as I forgot to come off the M25 at J8 and carried on round, 2 weeks ago. Double DOH!

I work in Kingswood....who are you working at?

Quote: from GavinL on 7:25 pm on Oct. 13, 2001[br]
Quote: from Paul Booth on 4:05 pm on Oct. 13, 2001[br]

regards

Brian

B1YEE

I work in Kingswood....who are you working at?

I think we did this conversation last time round Gavin; the BBC have a converted mansion in Kingswood which is the R&D centre.

As it's my job to identify technology which the BBC might turn into money, I get to travel there as and when I feel the need.

Quote: from Brian Jackett on 6:01 pm on Oct. 15, 2001[br]Paul,

I have found out that the part is quite expensive thus I have ordered one and take a chance that it will fix the problem.

I do not want to have to replace yours as well if I broke it.

Anyway, thankyou for the very kind offer

regards

Brian

Welcome.

Sorted the problem , No it wasn't the Boost pressure switch that I bought for £80 but a loose wire on a sparkplug.

I had just changed the spark plugs as well, some of the wires to the sparkplug cap are hagging out a bit and one had come very slightly loose.

This caused the engine to loose all power once hot.

Bloody hell, always re check what you have done. I was convinced the plugs were ok.

Nothing wrong with the second FCD so rewired it back. The reason I thought that there was a problem is the first FCD I installed would not let the car run properly, even on tickover so I was convinced this had some how damaged the pressure gauge.

Oh well, morral of the story only do one mod at a time and test the car on a long journey.

regards