The mkiv Supra Owners Club

caliper painting

ardasaliah

I've got a white Supra and was thinking of painting them white, not sure if it'll look ok. It could look awesome, or look silly. What do you guys think? :shrug:

As chilli says white calipers would be hard to keep clean! but I think would look pretty good, and would certainly be different!

Ok well this is my job for the weekend as well as spraying the carpet, but with a purple car what coulour do you think I should go for on the callipers ???

red is always a safe bet, have done gold in the past on a different car which I think would look quite nice, hard colour to paint on though, quite a few streaks!

I also want to do this, black car - was thinking of red calipers - what do you think, ok or too common?

I think white might be a nightmare, always looking dirty? just a thought.

So is hammerite smooth better than the halfrauds caliper paint?

I don't think red is too common, I think it still looks nice.

and after using the halfrauds paint, dont know if I would use it again. It did give a very smooth finish but couldn't say how it compares to hammerite's finish.

I also want to do this, black car - was thinking of red calipers - what do you think, ok or too common?

I think white might be a nightmare, always looking dirty? just a thought.

So is hammerite smooth better than the halfrauds caliper paint?

Agreed red would look the best on your car, would set your wheels off well !!! :ecstatic:

and I was thinking red for me :idea: , its porb the best colour for callipers !

I think the "drum" at the rear is called a "Bell" - anyway mine is the same, was also thinking of Black smoothrite for that to tidy it up, don't want it to stand out!

Is the bell actually part of the rear disc? if not I might consider replacing it, as mine seems well rusty! guess a wire brush and some elbow grease could clean it up nicely though.

Ok red it is :) think I'll try the smoothrite, don't think me and runny paint will get on at all lol

Did mine blue. I used halfords caliper paint and found it to be really thick and gooey!!! Looks good with Gordons decals.

As for this 'drum', are we talking about the bit on the outside of the disc that prevents the rear of the disc from getting dirty, or the bit in the middle (hub) that the wheel attaches onto?

If it's the latter I painted mine silver with hammerite so it matches the wheel/disc, looks good.

The outer bit shouldn't be seen IMO so black if you're going to do it.

Just ordered some red caliper paint and some new supra sticker things in carbon colour.

Any tips from you guys who have painted your calipers. won't be removing them and will be using a brush. :badidea:

Where did you get your sticker things (in carbon colour)? If you don't mind me asking... would like to see your results..

I've been thinking of doing the same with mine, but resisted as I couldn't decide between 'giving them a good clean' or painting... hmmmm....

I think for the drum (bell) bit we mean the bit the wheel bolts too, the thing that the studs go through from the hub to the wheel, presumably it's just part of the disc itself.

The disc surround (whatever thats called, a guard?) is not so visable, not so worried about that but I guess if you can see it and it looks bad then black is the best option.

Did mine last weekend.I used an angle grinder with a wirebrush...took only a few minutes to clean on the car.Left me with a swollen hand from the angle grinder tough...never used one before,lol.Oh yes,wait at least 24 hrs before you drive your car again,because the paint may still be "soft" even though it feels dry.