The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car Dyno'd by Thor at Sandown

ellis

Interesting day at Sandown - met G.W (top bloke) and saw some very sweet cars! Also had the Supe dyno'd by Thor and the results were astonishingly good - proud of her I was!! Top whack was 350 at the flywheel which translated into just a shade over 290bhp at the wheels! Healthy for a 12 year old, completely stock car. If anybody wants to see the results sheets I'll scan them in and pop them up for all to see. Max boost was 0.9 bar!

Great run back too - what a mile muncher that car is - chewed on a few cups of Optimax too but worth every penny! Looking forward to Santa Pod next and hopefully meet up with more of you lot - I reckon we should have badges!

290bhp at the hubs (not wheels) is good, especially for a stock car. You can't really say that it's 350 at the flywheel though mate. Thor's dyno is well known for being very generous.

Even on a conventional rolling road adding 20+% to the "at the wheels" power figure is probably too much. On Thor's hub dyno it's way too much.

My 93 RZ made 350 at the hubs on Thor's dyno but only 300 at the wheels on a rolling road.

Still, sounds like your car is in good health. 290bhp from a stock Supra TT is very nice.

Was that the same Thor who use the Hub dyno? or another Thor :)

290 at the wheels is nice :)

The hub dyno Thor! If it was generous then thats fair enough - if its still near to its claimed 326bhp I am indeed a happy man! The temptation to add a few bits as discussed with aforementioned Thor-man is now hurting - I wanted to keep the car completely stock but . . . . oh should I??!!

290bhp at the hubs (not wheels) is good, especially for a stock car. You can't really say that it's 350 at the flywheel though mate. Thor's dyno is well known for being very generous.

Even on a conventional rolling road adding 20+% to the "at the wheels" power figure is probably too much. On Thor's hub dyno it's way too much.

My 93 RZ made 350 at the hubs on Thor's dyno but only 300 at the wheels on a rolling road.

Still, sounds like your car is in good health. 290bhp from a stock Supra TT is very nice.

Only telling you what they told me!! Still a happy bunny!!

The hub dyno Thor! If it was generous then thats fair enough - if its still near to its claimed 326bhp I am indeed a happy man! The temptation to add a few bits as discussed with aforementioned Thor-man is now hurting - I wanted to keep the car completely stock but . . . . oh should I??!!

Yours is auto right?

For a benchmark mine dyno'd 306hp at the hubs at 0.8 boost. So that sounds about right for you I guess. :thumbs:

Hi buddy, good figure mate maybe you should do a few light mod's!!!! but it's always good to see a standard spec supra as most of them have been moded

i think i saw your's in the car park, 16th october is santa pod RWYB will put a post up and try and get a few more people to come.

Also had mine tested by thor while i was there 335@hub(WHEELS) 1.1bar boost prit much what i expected :D

It amuses me to read people think our dyno is generous. Most moan that it isn't generous enough.
The Thor Dynapack has a reputation for giving the highest figures of any Dyno out there. Maybe all the others are under reading but I doubt it.

It doesn't add up to anything like the figure given by other dynos. I know Pete doesn't give folks a flywheel figure but if asked he apparently tells people to add 20% to the 'at the hubs' figure, doesn't he?

Do you think that is an accurate estimate of the flywheel figure, Nod?

I know Pete doesn't give folks a flywheel figure but if asked he apparently tells people to add 20% to the 'at the hubs' figure, doesn't he?

Do you think that is an accurate estimate of the flywheel figure, Nod?

To be fair Jake the impression I always got, having had about 4 sessions there and never once given a fly figure estimate, is that when it comes to 'flywheel figs' they're not interested in going into the whole debate.

Lets face it everyone has their own theory about what to allow for, and we're probably all slightly out in one way or another.

So I think its more of a 'you can add 20% if you want' generic answer, not the culmination of 5 years of petes research or anything hence this comment on the Thor website:

If people ask we always use the stock answer of 20% for 2WD rear wheel driven cars, 25% for 4WD and 18% for 2WD front wheel drive cars.

THOR Racing are not prepared to argue about flywheel power as different cars have different transmission losses.

Thas my thoughts anyway :D

And Nod, the MacLaren line takes some beating..... much to the annoyance of certain people no doubt.

I dont think people dispute whats put out on the dyno itself, probably just the estimated flywheel figures that people seem to come out with.

I didn't estimate the figure as I have no idea how to calculate it!! The guy on the stand said there was 290.1bhp at the 'hubs', tapped a few keys and said that's about 350 at the flywheel. As I said before, I'm only telling you guys what was told to me, not trying to look clever by making overstated boasts.

Surely there's something fishy here tho?! Can you really only be losing 20bhp from standard from such a sappy auto transmission?
Bobbeh's car isn't an auto.

They are talking about 20% mate, not 20bhp
Bobbeh is talking about 20bhp transmission losses if his stock UK car is making 306 RHHP

Perhaps we should have a seperate measurement called Brake Thor Power

where 1 RWHP = 1.16 BTP

:p

It's good to know Bobbeh's car showed 306 on the hubs, because I haven't got any printouts of mine in stock form on the hubs.

Even better, running stock boost and stock fuelling, my accelerometer registered 300 odd horses, so now I have a rough idea of how to tally the two.

Thanks Bobbeh. :D