The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel Cat Oactane Booster

lui

went to jap show this weekend at sandown there was one chap selling these Fuel Cat in Line Octane Booster on which he claim turns normal unleaded 95 octane into 100 octane & once fitted in the fuel line last for 100,000 miles before needed to be changed are these units any good instead of running car on optimax or are these gadgets a load of crap please hepl with advice Many thanks Lui :help:

went to jap show this weekend at sandown there was one chap selling these Fuel Cat in Line Octane Booster on which he claim turns normal unleaded 95 octane into 100 octane & once fitted in the fuel line last for 100,000 miles before needed to be changed are these units any good instead of running car on optimax or are these gadgets a load of crap please hepl with advice Many thanks Lui :help:

I BOUGHT ONE FELLA, MATE GARY HAS AN MR2 TURBO, HAS BEEN UPGRADED AND BEEN TOO ABBEY M/SPORT WITH THE FUEL CST FITTED AND THEY IT WORKS!!! GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME FELLA,

NOT ONLY THAT BUT YOU ALSO GET A 5000M TEST PERIOD MONEY BACK GUARANTEE.

I BOUGHT ONE FELLA, MATE GARY HAS AN MR2 TURBO, HAS BEEN UPGRADED AND BEEN TOO ABBEY M/SPORT WITH THE FUEL CST FITTED AND THEY IT WORKS!!! GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME FELLA,

NOT ONLY THAT BUT YOU ALSO GET A 5000M TEST PERIOD MONEY BACK GUARANTEE.

And just EXACTLY how do they know it works?

ALSO PLEASE STOP WRITING IN CAPITALS......

So they didn't test the fuel itself? And did they do back to back runs with optimax and then regular? Surely if this item was to work, then people would still be better off running it with optimax as it would then increase the RON/MON value of that fuel even further? No?

oh yes fella,, but they are saying that you dont have too put in optimax, you can just use regular, if you use optimax it shows 102 RON,

SORRY HEE HEE, by using a higher grade of fuel it burns easier and shows on an A,F,R meter and on E,G,T, as your engine temp dropss aswell when compared to using 95 RON which burns at higher temp.

BOLLOX!

High Octane fuels tend to burn slower. Proving octane with afr? hows that done then?

If this is such a revolutionary idea, could someone please explain to me why the biggest motor part manufacturers and distributors in the world are not selling it too?

I wll tell you why. It is because it is a load of bollocks and can only be sold by scammers who play on the naivety of certain members of the GP who will buy anything.

If this is such a revolutionary idea, could someone please explain to me why the biggest motor part manufacturers and distributors in the world are not selling it too?

I wll tell you why. It is because it is a load of bollocks and can only be sold by scammers who play on the naivety of certain members of the GP who will buy anything.

:yeahthat:

I've looked into this one closely in the past.

In fact I have a bag of 'fuel cats' in the tank of my bike, had them in for 5 years.

I also had these pelets in the Calibra's tank.

I know from a reliable friend that they work - sort of. They are not as effective on all kinds of fuel, and they certainly don't increase the octane number, lol.

But they probably do something that pushes the detonation limit upwards. If you have a n/a engine and high CR, you know when it pings, it's always at the same load point, same revs, same gear, and it varies with fuel quality. So with SUL you can tell immediately. Same as these 'fuel cat' things, they had a similar effect on his car, bringing 95RON fuel half-way to SUL.

He had it in a version inline before the fuel rail. Then he fitted a SECOND one, and the det limit went up even further, so the damn things probably do something.

I can't tell myself though, because I didn't do before/after tests, had them in since day one. You cannot take out the in-tank pellets, that's the thing.

I'm not sure if this is in the same category as the various "magnetisers" and the rest. I'd spoken to the guy on the phone, and he never claimed an octane increase, just a varying 'stabilising' effect, especially when fuel is stale. He said that sometimes this effect is similar to that of extra octane --- maybe it's all bollox though....

my dad bought a magnet that clamps around fuel pipe. i see them on QVC they sounded good.i tried some of that snake oil fuel/oil treatment in my supra supposed to give a slight increase in hp and also breaks down the carbon build up in engine. lol they even put 2 engines in a solid block of ice.1 with treatment and 1 without. they tried starting both engines. the one with treatment started. i was sold and bought some.

you never know when your engine will be in a block of ice. they even showed dyno before and after treatment

think it was called motor up.

i also used to use small octane boosters when going racing.dont think they were any good.if you want higher octane buy race fuel.

John, after reading this:

"...However, the RAC report did conclude: 'None of the claims made by Clockwork Orange Limited in respect of Fuel Cat have been substantiated. Furthermore, there are good theoretical considerations and existing knowledge which lead to the conclusion that tin alloy pellets in the fuel tank of a vehicle or fitted in the fuel line, with or without a magnet, will not have any effect on combustion and therefore cannot affect fuel consumption, exhaust emissions, gasoline octane number, exhaust valve seat recession or exhaust catalyst life.'

Can you tell me which part of the claims does your "reliable friend" say actually work?

Can you tell me which part of the claims does your "reliable friend" say actually work?

No CJ, I can't.

He had no reason to lie to me, and he was (still is) knowledgeable enough.

I don't have my own conclusive results, as I've already said.

It was this sort of 'tin pelets' yes, and rumour had it that jap 'pocket rockets' had them in the fuel tanks from the factory. Maybe that was an urban myth as well, I never cut up a scoobie tank and saw anything myself.

The whole thing is probably claptrap, I'm just keeping an open mind because of my friend's testimony. He was actually considering buying a *third* one to fit it in series. :shrug: