The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tuning for BHP

Supra-Dupra

Need help on how to get some more BHP, have BPU kit minus Boost Controller.

Im new to this some help would be much appriciated !

:zen:

SD, what parts have you got fitted at the moment, Jap or UK spec Supra and what age?

J-spec

1. Check condition of you intercooler, if in poor condition it should really be replaced before continuing.

2. Fit aftermarket 'performance' exhaust.

3. Remove either just the front or ideally both CATS, replace with de-cat pipe and restrictor ring (available from Chris Wilson)

4. Adjust restirctor ring to limit power to 1 - 1.2bar.

5. Fit set of cooler spark plugs.

6. Fit boost gauge to monitor boost levels, manual boost gauges are the cheapest, electronic ones will give you functions such as peak hold and peak warning.

7. If fuel pump is original J-spec one, replace with new Walbro 255L/hr, see Vortex website.

8. Fit new fuel filter.

9. Fuel cut defender.

That should increase power to roughly around 360-380hp. With that sort or power you also realy want a set of the larger spec Supra brakes

Next step after that could be:

9. Front Mount or higher spec side mounted intercooler.

11. Fit bigger injectors, FPR and fueling computer (eg. emanage, etc.)

12. Cams

13. 'Performance' clutch

On stock turbos you're looking at max of around 430hp ish. Any more than that and you'll need to replace turbos.

If you click on my car in my signiture it will show you list of mods I have, which may be of help.

J-Spec TT 94, auto, 66k miles

Heres the changes so far most done before i bought it:

HKS Exhaust System with decat

Blitz Dump

Blitz Induction

NRK Iridium Plugs

Strut F & R

Lowered

Turbos are standard i think.

I have seen the Superchip piggy back on http://www.superchips.com but am a bit weary of it as its 500 quid which quotes +30bhp boost, but prob 500 quid would be more efficient spent other directions ?

No idea what the digi thing is, not a brand I recognise. Does it work? It looks like it coudl be a turbo timer.

As CJ says forget Superchips all they do is add a bleed valve and fuel cut defender (forgot to mention this on my first post), which you can fit yourself for less than £100.

A few more questions:

Do you know what boost you are running at at the moment? Do you have a boost gauge fitted? Have you had both CATS removed or just 1 of them? Do you already have a fuel cut defender fitted?

1.2bar is the max you want to be running at, if you are already doing this then a boost controller isn't neccessary.

I dont know what boost its running at ! how can i check go nobody in my area with the know how or gear !

The decat is full decat removing both !

the brand on the thingy is ULTRA think was fitted b4 came from japland !

Is the fuel cut defender the Walbro 255lhp that the others mentioned ? Im just about to get one on ebay for about $100 !

There is 2 greedy gauges on the pillar, i think 1 boost, one temp !

I dont know what boost its running at ! how can i check go nobody in my area with the know how or gear !

The decat is full decat removing both !

the brand on the thingy is ULTRA think was fitted b4 came from japland !

Is the fuel cut defender the Walbro 255lhp that the others mentioned ? Im just about to get one on ebay for about $100 !

There is 2 greedy gauges on the pillar, i think 1 boost, one temp !

First thing you need to establish is what's the max boost you're making at the moment.

No the Walbro I mentioned is a replacement fuel pump. Forget the Ebay one at £100, get one from Thor, you want a VFCC (just their name for teh FCD) see link HERE. If you don't have a Fuel Cut Defender already fitted, then it's likely you are running less than 1bar at the moment.

BTW removing the Blitz pod filter and refitting the stock airbox will gain you some more power and be a lot kinder to your engine.