The mkiv Supra Owners Club

is it worth it?

Guest d4ve

hi there just wanted some help please, thinking about getting a supra but is it worth getting the n/a? been honest i cannot afford to buy/insure a turbo, i am not power mad but like every1 i want fast, i'm just worried i get a n/a and then wishing i never because is not turbo.

also the age is a problem cos my dad is lending me the money (better than going for a bank loan hehe) he wants me to get something a bit newer, now i've only heard good things about toyota but coming from honda will i have many problems? as i know nothing about engines and how to fix stuff lol :help:

other option was to get a civic coupe vti - i love civics and i know these are not as fast as n/a supra but they still nippy, can get a 2000 model and its a nice solid reliable 1.6 engine (so wont be that costly).

what would you guys do?

Hi! Just a starter, NA insurance tends to be the same as TT insurance

Yep insurance and running costs are the same as a TT :(

I'd seriously consider buying another car that can be run for cheaper and will be quicker than the NA for your money. You did say you liked fast cars after all :sly:

I'd seriously consider buying another car that can be run for cheaper and will be quicker than the NA for your money. You did say you liked fast cars after all :sly:

If looks as well as performance are important, then I'd buy an N/A over a Nissan all day long.

hi, thanks for the replys, i just assumed the insurance and running costs would be much higher tbh, its normally when that word turbo pops out they go mad with the premium.

cj - looks are quite important to me like i said i want a fast car but i'm not a performance nut tbh i dont know alot about tuning and what to do to a engine i know some of the basics (but i'm coming from a 1.4 civic lol so most things will be really fast to that)

its just i was getting some quotes for the vti civic and a few ppl have told me they can get cheaper insurance on a supra than they can a vti, so i tried my luck and whey! i did.

the only problem i have is that i dont want to get a car with over 60,000 and would be looking for a later model thats y i said about affording to buy the turbo.

cheers dave.

Just make sure that the people that gave you the quote for the Supra, actually put it as an import and that they actually put it as a MKIV, and not a MKIII, which does seem to happen A LOT with insurance companies.

You could always try and find a UK spec auto TT for about £8k, as they are cheaper to insure, but it all depends on your age, no claims etc etc....