The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing scratches from glass

Jake

The new (used) window I've put in my drivers door has a few scratches on the glass. Is it possible for me to polish these out? What's the best way to do it? Any recommended products?

I've tried doing it by hand with cutting paste but it didn't seem to do anything.

cheers

Cutting paste is stronger than T-cut and more abrasive. I used an orange coloured halfords make I think rubbing compound to take the scratch of my passenger window. How scratched is the window. I was too lazy to actually clean it so I didn't see the full extent of the scratching. I ought really have been a bit more carefull in its storage :(

There is a special polishing kit for glass as long as they are not deep scratches that is.

Works well on wiper scratches so as long as they are pretty similar then you should be ok

Dont know if i am allowed to post this ink but im sure a mod will delete it if required :)

http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk

If you could ask for Andrew and let him know Dean from Scotland Sent you he will look after you and make sure you get what you need.

Hope this helps

There is sand paper which is good for glass, not sure if it's on the open market for DIY'ers but, in the old days when splicing fibre optic cable, you had to polish the glass ends where it was cut.

At that time, I thought about getting some to polish out the scratches on my watch.....never got round to it....have new watch now :)

Being totally honest you would be better off replacing the glass,The polishing kits described are more for the use of front windscreens which are made from laminated glass,When polkishing glass if the scratches are too deep then they can be polished but it will end up with a vision fault that would be by far worse than having a scratch,As for the side windows I really wouldnt like to try it,Im not saying it cant be done but more often than not most side windows get scratched by people with rings on scraping the ice off the car during winter,Better off replacing the windows IMHO

Oh and the proper stuff for polishing scratches out of glass is called Jewelers rouge!

cerium oxide is the base of tooth paste without the flavour

water down your t paste a bit and you will need a polishing machine with a very hard mop head

but dont get the glass to hot or it will pop

and if you polish 1 area to long you will get a distored view though the glass

hope this helps

baldy