The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Knocked car into Neutral while flooring it!

RedM

FYI Auto car.

I'd been trundling along in traffic in 2nd gear, massive gap in traffic and floored it. Trouble is I knocked it up into N, revs went sky high, almost instantly took foot off pedal and whipped it into D and carried on.

No warning lights, no odd noises, no funny smells (from the car at least) and engine bay looks as normal.

Anything to worry about?

It starts at some lights with an Impreza alongside. 30 limit so stayed side by side with him away from lights, along road and through speed camera. He then boots it and cuts across infront of me. We reach a stretch of dual carriage way. He has loads of room infront but moves to left. This is when I boot it.

Yes, I managed to knock my car into neutral while blasting passed a Scooby. May the ground open up beneath for my numptyness. Could I be any more embarrassed? NO!

I bet the Imp driver thought I was having a go or something because a few mile later, after some residential areas open into fields and NSL zones I'm behind a lorry and Impreza man come blasting up behind us and goes straight by me and the lorry. I evetually leave the lorry behind and somehow catch the Imp which seems to be going very slowly. He's been waiting and as I get near he blasts off. Now, due to the high rev incident and the fact I need to make a turn in about half a mile I just carry on. I signal left towards my village and he swerves at last minute. I'm now behind him and he takes off up a hill. I tootle up becasue I like to give the engine a gentle run for the last couple of miles.

I get to my street and signal right, he dives right ahead of me. Dont know what he was hoping to achieve because our road goes nowhere after about a mile. We pulled up outside our place and he carried on slowly before going around the village green and away.

So, I'm ashamed and I've been sort of 'owned' by an Imp. But now I know the engine is okay, he will be my bitch should I meet him again.

• 3 years later...