The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Horn change....

supRo

I put a post up a while ago asking if it was just my horn that sounded a bit :limp: but i think its pretty much all the J-specs. The UK horns sound a bit better so might be worth trying to find a scrapped UK car and getting the horn out of it. If you get one, of any kind, post up which one and what it sounds like cos id be interested in one as well.

I just went to the scrappy and got a BMW (Yes I know) horn, they have one of the best makes, cost me £5. They are all 12V, wired it straight up, whilst removing the gay one at the top (left the bottom one in place in front of the Rad), and now it sounds more manly. Relocated it only the other week when I fitted my FMIC, it now lives in the passenger side section of the front bumper.

I never used to use the old horn as it made me embarassed as it was so crappy.

I just went to the scrappy and got a BMW (Yes I know) horn, they have one of the best makes, cost me £5. They are all 12V, wired it straight up, whilst removing the gay one at the top (left the bottom one in place in front of the Rad), and now it sounds more manly. Relocated it only the other week when I fitted my FMIC, it now lives in the passenger side section of the front bumper.

I never used to use the old horn as it made me embarassed as it was so crappy.

BMW horns here too. Got a couple of spares too.

I got a hi-low pair of air horns from Halfords. They sounds at the same time, no tunes or anything silly like that. About £15 I think. To fit these, you'd also need some wire (Halfords, or elsewhere).

Air horns are good and piercing, but be aware that there is a small delay (maybe 1/4 sec) from when you press the horn switch to when the sound gets produced. This is limited by making the air tubes as short as possible.

Steve

I put a post up a while ago asking if it was just my horn that sounded a bit :limp: but i think its pretty much all the J-specs. The UK horns sound a bit better so might be worth trying to find a scrapped UK car and getting the horn out of it. If you get one, of any kind, post up which one and what it sounds like cos id be interested in one as well.

lol my horn still sounds a bit :limp:

Twin horns are designed to work together and produce a harmony. It is best to change both your horns, changing just one is unlikely to produce a harmonous sound.

The horn in the bumper is the easiest to change . The top horn needs a bracket fabricating, to ensure it will be clear of the bonnet.

Supra horns use a chassis earth, BM and many others use a wire to earth.

Just added this pic.

BMW Horn.jpg