The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra spoiler removal

npotts

darkside??? i thought only MG owners used that term for modding their cars cos they were all boring flat cap wearing old blokes that didnt like me 'cos i modded the car so much! thought I'd got away from ppl saying that when I bought my Supe...

Teehee, i think the Supe's can look pretty cool with no spoiler if you wanna go for a nice smooth look :)

darkside??? i thought only MG owners used that term for modding their cars cos they were all boring flat cap wearing old blokes that didnt like me 'cos i modded the car so much! thought I'd got away from ppl saying that when I bought my Supe...

Teehee, i think the Supe's can look pretty cool with no spoiler if you wanna go for a nice smooth look :)

difference is

MG..............................Supra............pretty different league

you dont get old blokes with flat caps owning supras :D

Taken mine off recently, looks pretty good IMO. Will try and get some pics taken.

To take it off, remove the plastic lining under the hatch (try not to break the clips!), you will see two bolts either side which need removing.

Theres also some glue used so will require a bit of a shove to remove. 10 mins to take off, couple of hours to clear up the gluey mess left behind!

You lose significant downforce if you ditch it, that's quite substantial at high speeds (well over a ton)

Have to disagree - you will get more downforce by tossing a set of golf clubs in your boot than anything the stock rear wing has to offer. It's the wrong shape, the wrong size and in the wrong place to offer anything other than a bit of drag.

Probably why a lot of cars left the factory without them.

Have to disagree - you will get more downforce by tossing a set of golf clubs in your boot than anything the stock rear wing has to offer. It's the wrong shape, the wrong size and in the wrong place to offer anything other than a bit of drag.

Probably why a lot of cars left the factory without them.

It's claimed to add downforce by Toyota, I can't remember the actual figure. Although I seem to remember it changed the drag coefficient from 0.29 without it to 0.32/0.33 with it.

At top speed the stock wing adds more than the weight of a massive bloke at the back of the car.

You're gonna need a heck of a lot of golf clubs to replicate that.

It is the right shape, size and place to offer the best combination of downforce vs drag and visibility.

When zinging up the A34 at 70 odd around some of those long curves, the car feels like it handles well. Taking them at close to twice the speed, it feels awesome, like it's being planted onto the tarmac. I assumed that was the downforce of the rear wing? If you don't need to go so fast, I'm sure you won't miss the wings high speed stability.

At top speed the stock wing adds more than the weight of a massive bloke at the back of the car.

You're gonna need a heck of a lot of golf clubs to replicate that.

It is the right shape, size and place to offer the best combination of downforce vs drag and visibility.

LOL - keep eating the sales brochures ;)

Sit a massive bloke in the middle of the rear wing and see if it bends. Then drive the car as fast as it will go, look in the rear view mirror, and see if it is bending as much as when the fat bloke sat on it.

To take it off, remove the plastic lining under the hatch (try not to break the clips!), you will see two bolts either side which need removing.

Theres also some glue used so will require a bit of a shove to remove. 10 mins to take off, couple of hours to clear up the gluey mess left behind!

Alternatively you take it to my local automatic car wash - that whipped the spoiler off in seconds :complain:

The spoiler is flatter on top than on the bottom (experience from many washes! :p ), so it must be creating downforce. The fact that it's so tall will give stability because the air cutting past each side support will want to hold the car in a straight line at high speed.

It does ruin the cd though (I thought it was 0.32 - 0.33 with it on), so you may lose 2mph at the top end.

Thanks for the replies one and all...... and thanks for the photo Ben-san. Confirms my feelings about how good they look with them removed!!

Regarding downforce, etc. I dont really go above 100mph in the Soop, for fear of losing my license, so doubt I will miss the added effect of having a spoiler (if it actually exists).

Anyone got any more nice shots????

Thanks

Nick

LOL - keep eating the sales brochures ;)

Sit a massive bloke in the middle of the rear wing and see if it bends. Then drive the car as fast as it will go, look in the rear view mirror, and see if it is bending as much as when the fat bloke sat on it.

Not all downforce is located at the middle of the spoiler, it is actually spread along the whole of the top surface.

You need to divide the total force by the area to get the pressure in psi at the middle of the spoiler.

Do a search here, we've been through this before. Most aftermarket spoilers are generally crap, either pure looks or closer to aerodynamic brakes.

The stock one is properly made.

I go over 100 quite often, so ditching it is out of the question. If I never really went over a ton, then I'd lose it, makes the car look more subtle, like a bigger Celica.

I thought the purpose of the spoiler was to actually disturb the airflow over the car? I seem to remember reading somewhere the airflow over the car caused 'lift' similar to the effect on a planes wing causing loss of traction............so if you can stop the lift you increase the downforce without actually putting physical pressure on the spoiler, if that makes sense??

of course I could be barking up the wrong tree..............it's been known to happen :)

cheers

Do a search here, we've been through this before.

We have, and have never really reached any conclusion. Some think they work, some think they dont. I'm with the dont's :D

As I said before, if the rear spoiler is vital for creating downforce, rear end stability etc, then Toyota would never allowed cars to leave the factory without them.