The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre sizes/fitters

Syed Shah

Depends on trye profile height but I wouldn't reccommend any more than 2 size widths more than the alloy width. If tryes are too wide for alloys then they start to lip around the outside of the alloy which can be very dangerous when cornering. You will also find that stability at high speed will reduce quite a lot.   Best to ask a qualified tyre fitter.

AJI

and 255 on the front might make the car tramline like a bugger.

Leon used to run 285x35x18 on his 10" blitz, if you go to a 30 profile expect to see the world a little more blurry as the ride will become pretty severe.

If you have an import somebody like Pete Betts can recalibrate the speedo so that if you run a higher profile it wont throw the speed out too much. I believe the speedo signal is taken from the rear wheels.

JB

while we're on this subject...

I have stock 17" uk rims.

Can anyone tell me what the width of these rims is ?

And can I fit 265's on the back next time ?   this is only 10mm wider than the stock 255s.    It might help reduce oversteer a tad and also protect the rear rim from kerbing *slightly* ??

anyone else running 265's at the back on stock 17"s ??

Hi....

I have just had a set of Eagle F1's fitted today by Micheldever Tyres nr Winchester.

Having phoned a number of local suppliers and they proved to be by far the cheapest, fitting a set of stock sized F1's tyres for £418.06 all in.

If you wish they can ship the tyres direct to you for about £16.00 a set.

Quote: from GavinL on 11:04 pm on Oct. 12, 2001[br]Hi....

I have just had a set of Eagle F1's fitted today by Micheldever Tyres nr Winchester.

Having phoned a number of local suppliers and they proved to be by far the cheapest, fitting a set of stock sized F1's tyres for £418.06 all in.

What size rims Gavin, 'cos when I priced up my rears (see thread) Micheldever were not even the second cheapest? Bracknell Tyres & Batteries were the cheapest on F1s by a good margin.

Quote: from Paul Booth on 7:25 am on Oct. 13, 2001[br]

What size rims Gavin, 'cos when I priced up my rears (see thread) Micheldever were not even the second cheapest? Bracknell Tyres & Batteries were the cheapest on F1s by a good margin.

Hi....

My wheels are standard 17" jobbies (8" fronts and 9.5" rears).

Nearest prices I coud get down my way were £500.00.

Quote: from GavinL on 11:16 am on Oct. 13, 2001[br]
Quote: from Paul Booth on 7:25 am on Oct. 13, 2001[br]

Hi....

Did you try Bracknell Tyres? I got 265x35x18 for £149 each. Micheldever were way more expensive (have a look at the thread for exact prices).

BTW, something to keep your eyes open for. Many of these smaller operations/chains have links into tyre clearing houses. You can get a nonsense bargain on some tyres if the manufacturer is dumping stock.

Hi....

Did you try Bracknell Tyres? I got 265x35x18 for £149 each. Micheldever were way more expensive (have a look at the thread for exact prices).

BTW, something to keep your eyes open for. Many of these smaller operations/chains have links into tyre clearing houses. You can get a nonsense bargain on some tyres if the manufacturer is dumping stock.

No I didn't try them, but I will next time.

I'm happy that I got a good price all in all and Micheldever are well organised bunch I was in and out in less than half an hour.

regards..................

Quote: from GavinL on 12:42 pm on Oct. 13, 2001[br]

Hi....

No I didn't try them, but I will next time.

I'm happy that I got a good price all in all and Micheldever are well organised bunch I was in and out in less than half an hour.

regards..................

Obviously I can't speak for everyone at Bracknell tyres but the guy who did mine was so careful with my Allies, you'd have though they were his. OK, I was watching him and he knew that, but I've been to other places that didn't give a damn who was watching.

They too had me in and out in well under 30 minutes.

Guest Martin F

I have 265x35x18's on the back of our MKIV. It is lowered and although the rubber is close it's not close enough to rub.

May be an option for you.