The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The 'wild west' of Supraforums

Aerotop Dave

Basically someone was asking about the winglet things on the Aerotop that pop up at the front when you take the roof off to help with airflow. Someone called Mark said you can't remove them because the roof will leak. I replied on page 3 as you will see:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3481564#post3481564

For those of you without access I said...

Originally Posted by MarksSupra33

Do not remove though, as it will cause targa leaks.

England owner here: you can safety remove these, I just unscrewed the entire contraption to get rid of the annoying whistling and never had any leak problems, and I'm sure we get loads more rain over here than you guys!

My car hasn't had the roof off all summer (more proof of excessive rain) so I can't remember for sure but there's a rubber strip that seals against leaks across the front. The 'winglets' are stiff plastic and mounted on a similar stiff plastic strip (four screws and out it comes) so I can't see how they would add anything to the sealing properties of the roof at the front. The strip+winglets thing has been sitting in my garage for over a year now and the car is leak free.

...and he replied with...

Goddamn I must've had no clue what I was talking about when I said removing it would cause leaks. I guess when I removed mine and I started getting leaks, then tested to make sure it was coming from the newly exposed wind deflector holes, I was just hallucinating.

Basically, ignore this asshole's post that for some reason thinks he can discredit what I just posted.

Contact BlkTurbo1, we've together spent nearly 25 hours combined collaborating and leakchasing on our vehicles to completely understand the targa draining system. If you remove the deflectors, you expose screwholes that were once sealed, where water can find its way underneath during a heavy rain, then climb underneath the seal, and fall down the a-pillar and onto your floorboard.

:read: Blimey! lol

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a friendly bunch over there yeah?

i asked for pictures of DoLuck wheels, since they love them out there and one of the mods put in big words SEARCH!

i dont use there forum cos its run by wankers, for wankers!

It says somewhere that if you ask the sort of question that can be easily answered with a search that you can get your post deleted.

You can go out of your way answering a question for somone and never get any thanks or acknowledgement at all.

Completely different attitude on here, much more friendly.

That Mark guy seems like a crybaby anyway Dave. Ignore him mate.

Sicarius got it about right:

Shit Mark, get a bit defensive. Okay you want it, I'll tell you straight out. You don't know shit when it comes to targa, and have no interest in correcting that from your statements here.

Sounds like your deflectors on your targa have been damaged in some way, if you choose to sit in the corner and sulk that you've been proven wrong like some little kid, you're just proving me all the more right.

I generally only watch the 'interior' forum over there as the technical stuff goes way over my head. One thing I've always noticed is that it's very in your face there. On here if someone fits a new nosecone or does something with the interior even if someone doesn't like it they'll put 'Not my cup of tea, but good job'. Over there people will just put 'That looks crap'. I always think that's a pretty cruel thing to put after someone has put a lot of effort in.

Definitely a different attitude over there. I mean, I'm a moany old git on here but it really is a whole new level over there, hehe

Having just registered for SupraForums (been trying a while) that thread makes me wonder why I bothered, talk about a friendly welcome.

Good to see that Dave's opinion was listened to... Granted he's only posted 5 times, but to blatently dismiss his input is unbelievable.

22 year old MarksSupra33 seems quite opinionated for his age doesn't he...

Don't think I'll be spending much time on that forum.

Mike

One thing I've always noticed is that it's very in your face there. On here if someone fits a new nosecone or does something with the interior even if someone doesn't like it they'll put 'Not my cup of tea, but good job'. Over there people will just put 'That looks crap'. I always think that's a pretty cruel thing to put after someone has put a lot of effort in

just like on IMOC recently - my mate put incomplete pictures of my car up and had many a comment that i found annoying and uncalled for

I'm still not a member over there and by the sounds of it I'm not missing much except the current thread under discussion lol

Can someone please post up the replys from our guys :)

nothin much to see Burna.

Aerotop Dave:

Wow, where did that come from?! lol

Maybe there IS a difference between US and J spec versions of these winglet things and that's why mine doesn't leak. Who knows?

I'm off now to pick my jaw up off the floor from that reply!

whitesupraboy2:

Spraying a hose over the top of a car does not give the same effect as rain

Also nor does pissing on it from a great height incase you try that. So yours leaks, (shame) in that case i think its time for the....................BS Flag

MarksSupra33:

Next, tell me I don't know what I'm talking about with headlights

RobSheffieldEngland:

you dont know what your talking about with headlights

Me:

isn't this nice.

a little bit of England in the vast world of supraforums.

supradibbs:

rule britannia

JohnnyB:

Britannia rules the waves

Soontohavesoop:

Even with only a handful of aeros in the UK, we still understand more than "some" people on Supraforums.....

Evenin' Dave, White, Rob, Suprastar, Dibbs and Johnny B.....

Long live the Queen!

dangerous brain:

Funny mine leaked when I first got it and it turned out to be a combination of the drivers door window not fitting correctly and the seal at the drivers a-pillar being pulled down a bit by the a-pillar gauge pod that had been fitted pulling the seal down a bit. I managed to bend one of the legs on the passenger side deflectors and took them off to bend it straight. In the middle of the job it rained (funny old thing it does that alot in blighty) so I had to bung the roof back on sharpish. There it stayed for about 2 weeks as I didn't have time to finish the job off til then. You know I too didn't have water leaks and trust me I know what water leaks are like as I too spent many an hour trying to figure out wtf was going on when mine leaked.

As far as what the deflectors do:- they are designed to deflect the air up and over the cabin at speeds below 60 mph and also to prevent that buffeting noise you'd otherwise get at 60 mph when the airflow over the car switches the air draw from blowing into the car to sucking the air out.

PS mine go all the way down and only got stuck halfway when one of the legs was bent.

heckler:

The laddie really has made himself look incredibley stupid hasn't he.

I'm so glad the uk forums are much, much friendlier.

whitesupraboy2:

that can be changed......

but it will leak

P.s heckler love the amount of time we have been members and not posted on