The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tripple plate clutch

neo1

Oh my god, how much noise do they make when you put your foot on the clutch pedal :eyebrows:

Sounds very hard core :ecstatic:

And the gear to gear response is fantastic.... VERY HAPPY .... Complete SOD in traffic though :stickpoke but hey... it never said on the box "nice light-weight feel, just like a metro"

Thank you very much to Paul Whiffin for supplying the Exedy triple plate at an unbeatable price.... My baby is back on the road with more clutch holding power than you can shake a very large stick at thanks to him.

Cheers Paul :respekt:

Whats so bad about a triple plate clutch in traffic then? As I have the chance to get a HKS triple for a reasonable amount of money, but was told that they were not good for daily drivers?

I almost sound like a newbie! LOL!

Ben, a double or triple plate clutch can be very heavy to press and is less 'slippable' when engaging, eg. double/triple plate clutch = light switch, normal clutch = dimmer switch. They can be difficult to get use to at first, but once you are use to them they are okay for everyday use and they handle the power between gear changes so much better.

However, in stop/start traffic they can be a real pain in the leg, literally!! I was stuck in a jam the other month here and did a total of 2 miles in 4 hours, must have pressed and released the clutch hundreds of times crawling along, I can tell you I was cursing my TRD double :swear:

They are good for a laugh when someone tries to drive your car though, I was pissing myself laughing at the MOT guy the other day trying to get my car rolling, must have stalled it half a dozen times before getting his mate to do it for him :D

Ben, a double or triple plate clutch can be very heavy to press and is less 'slippable' when engaging, eg. double/triple plate clutch = light switch, normal clutch = dimmer switch. They can be difficult to get use to at first, but once you are use to them they are okay for everyday use and they handle the power between gear changes so much better.

However, in stop/start traffic they can be a real pain in the leg, literally!! I was stuck in a jam the other month here and did a total of 2 miles in 4 hours, must have pressed and released the clutch hundreds of times crawling along, I can tell you I was cursing my TRD double :swear:

They are good for a laugh when someone tries to drive your car though, I was pissing myself laughing at the MOT guy the other day trying to get my car rolling, must have stalled it half a dozen times before getting his mate to do it for him :D

So as my current sinlge disc TRD clutch will need to be replaced soon enough, a triple plate HKs for $500 (slightly used) is a good price? What cost are they to rebuild?

Guest KARacing
So as my current sinlge disc TRD clutch will need to be replaced soon enough, a triple plate HKs for $500 (slightly used) is a good price? What cost are they to rebuild?

is it from your local? if so, I would say it is a good deal since US members are selling these clutch (slightly used also) for $700USD Plus shipping

Unless you're running BIG power I would personally avoid the HKS triple, even at that price. You have to question why a slightly used HKS clucth is being sold, I would hazard a guess that it's because the owner couldn't live with it and decided to fit something a little less extreme.

If you need a price to rebuild your TRD clutch let me know.

Guest KARacing
Also, how are they "balanced"? And what parts are required from the MKIII to make it work?

Ben,

You will need 8 new flywheel bolts and several parts from the 3rd generation supra that HKS designed this clutch to use. You can get this stuff from here

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateH.asp?SubFolderID=200&SearchYN=N

Guest KARacing
So as my current sinlge disc TRD clutch will need to be replaced soon enough

As other member has said, if you are not planning to go big power. Stay with your TRD single disc :thumbs:

My old clutch was a TRD twin.... the Exedy Triple has no springs in the plates or flywheel as with many triple plates on the market.... Unless you are prepared or do a lot of drag racing, there are better options. Yes, they are an ON / OFF switch.... Even more so as they have no springs. I love my one thogh.... gear to gear its as fast as it gets.... Just have to be a little careful not to pop the clutch too hard through the gears as it hits the drive-line VERY hard if you do (makes you a smoother driver though) :)