The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A Few problems with my Sup, Any help be great!

Guest JSpecSimon

Guest JSpecSimon

Hi,

I have recently bought a J Spec Supra TT Auto, the are a few minor problems with it so I have a few questions, ( I have looked through the FAQ section but don't seem to find any answers )

Right,

Prob No 1: Has 18 inch Alloys and after Market Steering Wheel, and at 80 Mph the wheel is very shakey and the faster you go the more shakey it gets.

I have had the wheels re balanced and this has not solved this problem at all, any ideas I need to do to get this sorted?

Prob No 2: Whilst in drive and idle but NOT moving there seems to be a rattle coming from the middle heater vent,

any ideas what this is, and how to get it sorted?

Prob No 3: I have just noticed one of the back boxes( standard exhaust ) has a hole in and is starting to blow, how seriously will this be afffecting power?

is it best now to goo for an aftermarket exhaust or can you just replace each box at a time?

Is the a standard exhaust cheaper than and aftermarket one?

( i like quiet exhausts)

Last question,

If I was to replace my exhaust with an aftermarket one would it affect the ECU?

Thanks any help A.S.A.P. would be most appreciated !

Simon

hi simon i have a standard tt backbox for sale if u want it, also there was a thread on balancing supra alloys you need a garage that uses a method in which the wheel is bolted to hub then that bolted too the machine, this normally cures it if this doesnt go to kwick fit on westgate road newcaslte ask for lee or curran and get 4 wheel laser alignment.

a uprated exhaust wont affect your ecu.

but if u want this exhaust i can do it for you cheap since your local :D and no need to post

Prob No 1: Has 18 inch Alloys and after Market Steering Wheel, and at 80 Mph the wheel is very shakey and the faster you go the more shakey it gets.

I have had the wheels re balanced and this has not solved this problem at all, any ideas I need to do to get this sorted?

If the wheels and tyres are ok I would get the steering and suspension checked out. Badly out of alignment or worn front steering/suspension links might well be the cause.

Prob No 2: Whilst in drive and idle but NOT moving there seems to be a rattle coming from the middle heater vent,

No idea

Prob No 3: I have just noticed one of the back boxes( standard exhaust ) has a hole in and is starting to blow, how seriously will this be afffecting power?
If anything the decreased back pressure would improve power.

No. You can get a 'cheap' aftermarket exhaust for £350 (doesn't seem cheap to me for what it is) but a Toyota one is lots more than that.

If I was to replace my exhaust with an aftermarket one would it affect the ECU?
It would be best to reset the ECU after changing the exhaust so that it can adjust itself to the different gas flow more quickly than it would otherwise.

Hello and welcome to the club :)

Prob No 1: Has 18 inch Alloys and after Market Steering Wheel, and at 80 Mph the wheel is very shakey and the faster you go the more shakey it gets. I have had the wheels re balanced and this has not solved this problem at all, any ideas I need to do to get this sorted?

This could be several things:

- Wheels were not balanced correctly at all

- Poorly worn or mis-matched tyres

- Suspension alignment/geometry

- Worn bushes/track rod ends

That’s in order of seriousness AND expense at getting fixed. Suggest you do it in those stages! Also be sure to check you get the LanceW alignment settings from http://www.mkiv.com these are (in the opinion of many here) far superior to the stock settings.

That could be many things, the dash is easy to take off (have a search here), probably something simple like the vent cowling has not been refitted correctly.

is it best now to goo for an aftermarket exhaust or can you just replace each box at a time?

( i like quiet exhausts)

You like quiet exhausts - you're in the minority here! However replacing the whole system with an aftermarket one will release some extra power (say 10-15bhp on a stock car) and anywhere between a slight increase in noise to a huge increase! The HKS Hiper Silent is one of the quietist aftermarket systems and is highly rated by the God of tuning Chris Wilson. It'll no doubt cost you a LOT less than replacing a stock system (unless you use 2n hard parts of coarse!)

Last question,If I was to replace my exhaust with an aftermarket one would it affect the ECU?

Absolutely not. Just removing the back box will require no ECU mod. On a J-spec car you can even decat (80-100bhp increase) with only adding a Fuel cut defencer added (circa £80)

Hope this helps!

Darryl

Edit: too slow, beaten by Jake!

For the wobbly wheels you could also see if the plastic shims that fit inside the wheel between the hub are there. My old N/A had 18s on with these missing. Got a place to fit some and it cured it straight away.

:yeahthat:

It's amazing how many of these are lost when new tyres are fitted or the wheels removed.

ellis, my car is handling like crap and i've been going through the motions trying to cure it but this has never been suggested before......

what do they look like and how much are they, mate?

ps

my car is also an n/a running 18s

They are thin rings of plastic that fit on the inside of wheel hub that ensure a snug fit between wheel and wheel hub on the car. If you take a front wheel off, there should be a plastic ring in there - if not that could well be the problem - mine ran like a dog until I got them sorted - it had even been suggested that I had a bent wheel before this was tracked down as the cause. Some wheel/tyre places may have some otherwise contact a supplier of your wheels and see if they'll send you some, we're talking pennies here.

And ROGUE - the wheels on my old N/A were AVS Model 5s - pretty good wheels to start with!!

And ROGUE - the wheels on my old N/A were AVS Model 5s - pretty good wheels to start with!!

I'm sure they were. I just mean that bits of plastic give me the heeby jeebies when I'm thinking about 1XXmph and track days.

Always better to choose a wheel with the correct inner diameter IMHO.

ellis, my car is handling like crap and i've been going through the motions trying to cure it but this has never been suggested before......

what do they look like and how much are they, mate?

ps

my car is also an n/a running 18s

hmmmmm. I looked at an n/a the other day which had 18's, and when i drove it up to about 80mph and changed lanes, i also felt a bit of wobbling. The steering just didn't feel right.

I thinking this may be a very common problem when upping wheel size.......

Guest JSpecSimon

Thanks all for the answers!

I am going to look at maybe getting an aftermarket exhaust.

Il have to check my funds first,

but I might still be interested Jurgen and AJI I will let you know soon,

Thanks again people!