The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drag racing woes.........

mad k

Was racing yesterday and managed to land a 11.8@118mph with a 1.9 60ft.... with a passenger and full trim :ecstatic: , on my first run and only run

Only problem was a spark plug (denso Ik24) gave up on this run , Near the end of the strip i felt something wrong and actully eased off, It was running on 5 cylinders, and i noticed the boost guage fluctuating slightly on idel.

It had melted the tip of it, I had the boost at 1.6 bar but after recaling the Defi Peak function its spiked to 1.8bar.

Plug with tip melted

Got the head off it today and valves number 5 & 6 are holed no piston damage thankfully, I work in a engine reconditioners, So sorting the valves isnt a problem. But we only do stock replacment gaskets

Just wanting to know what head gasket to go for , Whos makes best to use and what size, of thickness ?

Any anyone recomend where to buy the right gasket ?

And what plugs should i be using in the car? Ik27s maybe ?

The cars a 97 model with a boostlogic T67P spec, Hks front mount, hks exhaust with emanage, I run 1.1bar on the road, and useully 1.5bar at the drag strip.

Any info greatly apreciated.

K.

Seats apear to be fine, The head didnt come off till 6.30 tonight so i will check it tomrow, Yeah its the exhaust valves, I think the bit of the plug has damaged them.

Was really disapointing, As i had just arrived, My mate jumped in the car to keep his eye on the AEM wideband for me as its on the left and i watch the guages on the right, Staged, done one run wasnt the best start as i was just getting used to the MT drag radials pulled away and all was going well untill about 2 seconds from the end.

I wasnt bothered about the damage after hearing the times, And i know i could have got the car faster, So its not so bad more to come.

Cheers for the praise.

K.

Mate the IK's/HKS plugs do not like bad det. They break the ceramic. We learnt this on Dudes car. Never seen this happen on the NGK's.

Does the car have a DLi?? If so just run NGK BCPR7ES. About £1.30 a plug from a factors. I am trying the NGK Iridiums but have nothing to report really so far.

Hope that helps.