The mkiv Supra Owners Club

just fitted FMIC...wow!!

wkdtime

got all the cuts and grazes, 4 hours later i have my FMIC installed, will try and get some pics soon as, im peaking boost at 0.9 bar easily now whereas before was getting up to 0.8 bar max with aftermarket exhaust an no other mods. cant beleive its made such a difference,

on the down side because of the piping in the way i can no longer use the stock airbox so will have to go for a full induction, any recomendations guys?

The noise is annoying (IMO), I removed my Apexi after 2000 miles as I got sick of it on the motorway. After fitting a stock airbox it wasn't any different power-wise, but it was considerably better mannered pulling away after being sat in traffic.

I also had a very noticable gain after fitting an FMIC, above 5.5k it was a different animal! Before and after dyno runs saw a 35hp increase at peak power.

on the down side because of the piping in the way i can no longer use the stock airbox so will have to go for a full induction, any recomendations guys?

NEVER heard that in that last 3-4yrs of being on here.....here is a pic of my bay back in 2002 with the full hard pipe kit on and stock box.

TRD.jpg

oooh tempting but i need one, i have tried my best but seriously cannot get my stock box back in, it just wont have it, maybe the pipework is different on my FMIC its a GT Hybrid, nothing special, its just my stock intercooler was pretty dead so needed a replacement.

im aware of the issues with stock vs induction, but i have never notice a great deal of difference, im sure you do loose power through heat soak, but not a great amount for me to be worrying about.

mate got it from ebay, it cost me £450 all in from jap, was delivered within 3 days, got the link here somewhere, try this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HYBRID-ULTRA-LIGHTWEIGHT-INTERCOOLER-KIT-TOYOTA-SUPRA_W0QQitemZ8000920903QQcategoryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

quality is pretty good, fitting is a little bit of a pain, the pipe works seem to not meet up with each other at the ends, but a little fiddling about with it and its on rock solid, no leaks, took it for a test run and staright away was seing 0.9bar bosst, on stock with just back box. it looks the dogs, 780mm wide so covers the bumper nicely.

HTH

Thats very wide! Much more than the Greddy/HKS ones which are 600mm. Its the same height and depth as the 2 row ones (3 rows are about 25mm deeper at 100mm).

Out of interest, did it also come with a replacement PAS cooler pipe and relocated expansion tank? If not, what adjustments did you have to make for these?

I think the width figure quoted for those ones is the width of the core rather than the width of the whole thing.

That makes more sense now, I didn't consider that they'd be cheeky enough to claim the width included the end tank. From the front it *looks* the same size as the Greddy. Overall then its the same volume as the 2 row Greddy/HKS IC's.

I remember Chris Wilson saying the end tank design on these was poor (looking at it, the angles do seem very steep to the upper half of the IC), does anyone have any further comment on that? (Technical people, not people who say it 'it works for me' type of thing.... ;) )

Totally agree dude, a nice new FMIC is going to be far, far better than a knackered old side mount. For the money you paid for the Hybrid its sure to be an improvement over an old side mount.

I just wanted to raise the question again about the efficiency of cheap FMIC vs. the CW side mount and branded FMIC's. I honestly wonder if they (CW+ branded one's) are worth the premium and therefore would appreciate the truly 'technical' guys input.

Edited to add that i had a 35rwhp gain after going from a reasonable condition side mount to a new Greddy FMIC. Paid £1k for it but curious if a £400 ebay job would have done the same job...

• 5 months later...
got all the cuts and grazes, 4 hours later i have my FMIC installed, will try and get some pics soon as, im peaking boost at 0.9 bar easily now whereas before was getting up to 0.8 bar max with aftermarket exhaust an no other mods. cant beleive its made such a difference,

May be off point here, but how can fitting a FMIC imcrease boost? Just cools the charged air. You must have had a leak in the old intercooler piping

ArdZ

May be off point here, but how can fitting a FMIC imcrease boost? Just cools the charged air. You must have had a leak in the old intercooler piping

ArdZ

Im not sure if this is right, and I might get shot down, but, if the intake temp is lower you will see an increase in boost pressure, surely the fmic will cool the intake more than the smic.

it just did'nt, i expected to, but it just sat theyre perfect, all i had to do was move away the collant over fill bottle and thats it.

this is good news as i have the same fmic in my garage waiting to go on with the boost controller and fcd as soon as weather improves at 0.9 bar already on decat uk spec. did you need to duct the cooler in or fit as is?

I just fitted a Miami Gt FMIC and I also had the problem with the air. as the pipe work is very straight..... So not wanting to go aftermarket filter, I modified my air box.... I cut the back towards the top, (afterall the air pipe in the box is at the bottom). Used the old bottom piping and fibre glassed around it to get the desired shape.. Job done... car runs fine and although i may of comprised a bit of air flow, there is still room behind the filter at the top. I got a pic somewhere.

Also got a spare air box so was happy at having a go at modding it...

Hope this helps

Simon