The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How often you change the engine oil in UK?

Guest KARacing

Is it really necessary to change it that often ???

between 2,500 - 3,750 miles

christ, i'll be forever buying and changing the bloody oil !?!?

what about if you're not ragging the nuts off it all the time and driving normally i.e. just clocking up motorway miles ?

just seems a bit ott to me but then what do i know.

which leads me onto what type/brand of oil do people recommend ?

Is it really necessary to change it that often ???

between 2,500 - 3,750 miles

christ, i'll be forever buying and changing the bloody oil !?!?

what about if you're not ragging the nuts off it all the time and driving normally i.e. just clocking up motorway miles ?

just seems a bit ott to me but then what do i know.

which leads me onto what type/brand of oil do people recommend ?

Steve, Oilman is the guy to have a chat to, [thread=25500]THIS THREAD[/thread] is worth reading.

For general road use, using a good quality synthetic oil then 5000-8000 mile changes are fine. If you are ragging it around all the time or doing a lot of city driving then shorter intervals may be needed.

Guest KARacing
i'm jap too and i do can't stop myself from doing a lot of ragging but surely theres no difference in when the oil needs to be changed UK or Jap there the smae block right ???

can't get over that...every 3,000 miles !!! best i do a change this weekend as i'm well over due for one !!!

so how often you change it? :thanks:

i'm jap too and i do can't stop myself from doing a lot of ragging but surely theres no difference in when the oil needs to be changed UK or Jap there the smae block right ???

can't get over that...every 3,000 miles !!! best i do a change this weekend as i'm well over due for one !!!

I think he meant UK owners as opposed to Hong Kong owners ;) Not UK Supras/Jap Supras.

I have always done every 3-4k miles, it's cheap as chips at ~£50.

I have just moved away from Valvoline Synpower 5w50 to Silkolene PRO S 10w-50 and following the advise of Oilman here http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=26527&page=2&pp=40&highlight=oilman

"Pro S will actually run to 9000 miles or 10 track hours so 6000 miles is a pretty safe margin to be honest"

I am just coming up to 5k miles and will change very soon and see how the oil condition is when it comes out, as a one time test really. Next year as I expect the soop to go away for the winter this year, I'll be track daying more so, will change my oil more frequently.

HTH

I change it everytime it starts to loose its nice golden colour. Its just a case of judging by eye for me... if there is too much black in it then it gets changed.. otherwise you're flushing out good oil if you're changing regarless.

This usually works out to be around every 5000 - 6000 miles.